While visiting Japan for a couple of months he took several of t-shirts of different designs and wore them daily. The clear winner in terms of comments was the one of a sakasa kebari(reverse hackle fly), his original design. The fly design seemed to evoke clear emotions in tenkara anglers who readily recognized it, applaud by those who use them, and always brought up questions by non-anglers who wanted to know more about it. A great conversation starter all around.
The sakasa kebari is a hallmark symbol of tenkara. It is the most characteristic tenkara fly, and readily recognizable. The flies themselves are intriguing and start enough conversations on their own right. The design of the fly, a large illustration placed on the back of the t-shirts, in a way symbolizes what tenkara stands for. It stands as the antithesis of western fly-fishing, with a reduced need for gear, a rejection of some of the long accepted thoughts.
The shirt states, "one fly is all you really need!".
Shirts are made by Econscious. 100% organic cotton certified to the Global Organic Textile Standards - cotton is tracked from farm to warehouse and the entire chain has been certified to best available environmental and social practices. The shirts are printed with a long-lasting water-based ink via inkjet direct-to-garment technology, the most environmentally friendly print technology in existence at this time; there are no films to make, no screens to burn, and no cleaning up.
1% of the sale value of this item will be donated to conservation efforts.
Write a review of this product.
page 1 of 1« previous pagenext page »
- rsetina says 5 out of 5 flies
- Sakasa T-Shirt
- Location/type of places I fish: Local So Cal Streams and Eastern Sierra
- This is a very nice quality shirt. The printing is of good quality and will last a long time. I highly recommend the purchase of one if you like to fish in light clothing or just want to start a conversation about Tenkara.
- posted April 18, 2012
- adventureR says 5 out of 5 flies
- Very Comfortable
- Location/type of places I fish: Rivers, streams, & lakes, in the shade where the sunlight reflects off the water onto the overhanging foliage.
- I found the shirt very soft and comfortable, thought it was tight at first but after wearing it for a few hours seemed to stretch and form fit my body. Organic cotton fabric seemed like it should cost more. I'll look for this fabric on future shirt purchases. Good color for fishing stealthily too.
- posted April 28, 2012
- pechelman says 5 out of 5 flies
- New favorite T-Shirt!
- Location/type of places I fish: rivers and creeks
- As already mentioned, the printing is of good quality. It seems like it will last a good long while. I've already gotten a couple comments on the shirt.
Initial impressions when I opened the package and put it on;
The color is a bit darker than in the picture on my screen (uncalibrated). I personally love the actual\darker color of this shirt. Its a near blue winged olive color to my semi-colorblind eye.
At first, I felt the t-shirt ran a bit small from when I put it on, but after wearing it for a day or so, it loosened up and relaxed and now fits true to size as a "casual fit" t-shirt. Not quite what I'd call a more generous "relaxed fit". So if you're looking for that, possibly order a size up.
Length is good as well for you taller people out there.
There's an additional tag on this shirt right on the seam above the back of my left shoulder. Its a little irritating, so I just cut it off. No big deal.
I have a feeling I'll be wearing this t-shirt a lot :)
- posted April 30, 2012
- camelcarlson says 5 out of 5 flies
- Great Shirt
- Location/type of places I fish: Montana, medium to larged sized streams and alpine lakes
- Great fitting lightweight shirt. Walking aroung town, in a matter of an hour, I had numerous people come up an ask what kind of fly was on the back of the shirt...great way to get the word out too!
- posted May 07, 2012
- Lightworker says 5 out of 5 flies
- Great way to represent pure tenkara
- Location/type of places I fish: The Sierra
- I would wear this shirt everyday but then the light blue one that I have would be so jealous. Great shirt printed on great fabric. I love wearing sustainable materials and organic cotton is were it's at. Big ups TUSA cause one fly us all you need.
- posted May 11, 2012
page 1 of 1« previous pagenext page »