Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Raleigh Fly Fishing Show Tenkara Experience

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Raleigh Fly Fishing Show Tenkara Experience

Postby Loften » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:53 pm

So I just finished the two days of the Fly Fishing Show in Raleigh. I was one of the featured fly tyers and I tyed up a bunch of flies to sell. I did my usual poppers, panfish bugs, ect and then also a box of tenkara flies. I had all different types including some blind eye ones. I brought my iwana for people to try also. I didn't really see any people that were hostile to Tenkara (Enrico Puglisi was the only famous one that was hostile, he called it "fishing for children"). The main thing that people were surprised by was how light the rod was. I let people take it to the casting pool and most people loved it. A bunch of people said that they were going to get one. Most people want one for the little native brookies in the mountains here in NC and panfish in the many ponds around the triangle.
Loften

Re: Raleigh Fly Fishing Show Tenkara Experience

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Loften wrote:So I just finished the two days of the Fly Fishing Show in Raleigh. I was one of the featured fly tyers and I tyed up a bunch of flies to sell. I did my usual poppers, panfish bugs, ect and then also a box of tenkara flies. I had all different types including some blind eye ones. I brought my iwana for people to try also. I didn't really see any people that were hostile to Tenkara (Enrico Puglisi was the only famous one that was hostile, he called it "fishing for children"). The main thing that people were surprised by was how light the rod was. I let people take it to the casting pool and most people loved it. A bunch of people said that they were going to get one. Most people want one for the little native brookies in the mountains here in NC and panfish in the many ponds around the triangle.

Truly a great thing you have done allowing folks to see tenkara. That was mighty nice of you spreading the good word.

And for your age, sounds like you sure think like a level headed adult by not letting this tenkara naysayer, who supposed to be the adult, became the child by his own remarks.

I look forward to your advise about tying flies in the flies threads since I am just starting to tie my own. You are an inspiration!

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Loften, thanks for the report on the show! Really appreciate you helping represent tenkara there!
As for the comment, just have to laugh it off - I guess he just knew your tenkara nickname and was making a joke :lol:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby adventureR » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Loften your Tenkara name doesn't fit you should change it to Tenkara Man!
You should try and make it to the GSMNP trips. Like TJ i could use some fly tying wisdom.
Enrico Puglisi , just don't know.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Way to go Loften! No doubt you're going to be a major tenkara ambassador. I see a blog and expert reputation in your future!
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby jayfisher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Loften,

Thank you. For most people, there is nothing like getting a chance to pick up the rod, cast it, and see someone doing a demonstration.

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby chorpie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 pm

People are set in their ways, and some can't be changed.

I found out that they stock the pond at a park 5 miles down the road to me so I spent my weekend there with my Amago :)

There were a couple fly fisherman there, and as they were talking, I heard one of them say "What's going on with that guy over there?" as I hooked a 14" trout, but they left before I could go talk to them.

Most people i've run into are really curious about it and are very receptive but i've still had a couple people just nod and mention dapping, even though I explain that you actually cast with these rods and aren't just letting the wind take your fly. Smile and nod. :)
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby Loften » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I just wanted people to be able to try tenkara so that they wouldn't be all negative about it. Jason- i think I'm too busy now to do a blog, but maybe in the future.
Loften

Postby Eddie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 am

Loften, I would like to say thank you to Enrico Puglisi for his compliment.

"Fishing for children" is a great compliment to me. I usually wish to enjoy fishing like a child, being free from the constraints of the world. We used to fish by very simple tackle -- a pole, line, bobber, sinker, hook, and worm--, when we were children, and that was very fun.

I like to fish by a very simple tackle like a child, and it is tenkara for me now. The simpler the tackle and the technique are, the more enjoyable the fishing is.

Enjoy fishing like a child.

Eddie
Eddie

Postby 257ROBT » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 am

Eddie wrote:Loften, I would like to say thank you to Enrico Puglisi for his compliment.

"Fishing for children" is a great compliment to me. I usually wish to enjoy fishing like a child, being free from the constraints of the world. We used to fish by very simple tackle -- a pole, line, bobber, sinker, hook, and worm--, when we were children, and that was very fun.

I like to fish by a very simple tackle like a child, and it is tenkara for me now. The simpler the tackle and the technique are, the more enjoyable the fishing is.

Enjoy fishing like a child.

Eddie

Very well said!!!!!

Dale
257ROBT

Return to Your Tenkara Experience