The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Tales from Wales

Guiding 8th March

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:44 pm

I had been fishing with Pedros on the lowers section of the Alyn, this time it was my turn to introduce him to my club waters. After gaining permission for he to have a taster we arrived and started fishing around 1300hrs. The weather was very crisp and very sunny, with no wind. I had a lot of water to show in 3hrs so not much time to really concentrate on each pool. Peter seemed very impressed with the way the water had been managed by the club, I left peter to have a short fish myself and found myself hooked into a nice Grayling on an upstream fished nymph. Peter had hooked and lost a few fish. Having to walk my dog put an end to a great afternoon with Peter deciding to apply to join the club. Please take a look at my latest well edited video from our Sunday afternoon trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahH3C_zFhU

Simon
Simon.A.Hayes

Morning trip 12th March

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 am

At last a weekday away from work in London. Sonia left to go to the health club giving me the opportunity to get onto the river much earlier than normal for me. At last there was no frost last night with the temp only getting down to 6c. Today was cloudy but breezy, as with this time of year the water is still very cold. A different section of the river today, fishing it for the first time this season, last year this section was very productive, has it improved over the closed season? Checking on the river you could see that there was little chance of any surface activity. So again set up with my Hi Vis leader and 5ft tippet with one dropper 12in from the point. Two size 20 GRHEs with a bead were attached ready for battle.
First cast of the day into one of last years favourite pools, having to adjust my casting to allow for the longer rod. Third cast the leader shot off to the right, and the rod bent as only a Tenkara can! Playing the fish to the net, a Grayling of 34cm. Nothing else in the run so off to the next. A fallen tree right across the bottom of the next pool limited the water that could be fished, gave the rod a flick and the nymphs landed in the right spot, follow the leader back, it stops lift into another Grayling this time only 30cm. Moved another 100mts upstream to another good run last year, Cover the water in a fan pattern leaving the run where I expect to hook up till the last cast. Another Grayling hits the nymph, this time a large fish comes nearly into the net but a final shake of its head and it snaps the dropper.
Off to the last pool / run of the morning, I start at the end of the run making my way up flicking the nymphs ahead of me. This pool turns out to be the best of the morning, by the time I get the the head of the pool I have caught 6 more Grayling all over 30cm! What have I learnt today? Tenkara can and seems to out fish a small conventional rod on small rivers; very small nymphs produce larger numbers of fish! Using a tenkara rod with a downstream wind can be challenging as the leader tends to bow like a sail; remember to check that the underwater camera has fully charged batteries, I took some great film only to find that the camera had recorded nothing! I even managed to get home before Sonia had returned from the club. A good morning had by all.

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Re: Tales from Wales

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks for the continued postings...and the "saga" continues :)

I'm sure Sonia was jealous to see you had some fishing all by yourself....Sonia, don't stop getting some exercise, it's important too :)
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby pedros » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 am

Don't want to start another Tenkara in Wales thread, so I will join Simon's.

First dry fly fishing on my Iwana over the weekend. Beautifull Tenkara presentation with a #20 olive parachute resulted in this little monster...

...and for relative size...

Very enjoyable 90 minute session. Really looking forward to BST (British Summer Time for those of you West of the pond) so I can get some evening sessions in.
More here http://pedrosonthefly.blogspot.com
pedros

1st Brown of the 2010 season

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:07 am

Hope you are enjoying the underwater footage as much as I am taking it? Over the next few weeks it should get a lot better as I get used to using the camera, the actors are a handful most of the time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCoTmCNuD4

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Report 9th May

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Mon May 10, 2010 3:12 am

At last I managed to get out and use the Tenkara rod after many weeks off! Sonia and I fished the Alyn in Worms Wood for 2hrs yesterday pm. The weather was cool with many insects hatching but no fish taking them. I stuck with a 2 nymph set-up covering runs that normal provide good fish, nothing! Sonia upstream of me started tempting the fish to take a LDO CDC dry, they are looking up. I changed to a LDO and moved upstream into the Wood. In a fast run there was an odd rises. Sitting in the fast water to keep a low profile I hooked a brown around ½ pound, on the far bank was a foam covered eddie with a fish rising. Using the Tenkara to hold all the furled leader clear of the middle flow, the fish grabbed the dry, a fine fish over 1.5lb. This fish could only be reached and caught with a Tenkara rod! Another fish was tempted later. A good afternoons fishing, although Sonia beat me by catching 5.
Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

14th Nov Tenkara outing

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:29 am

At last! Managed to pick up the rods after being on loan last week, I have been waiting for the river Alyn to subside after the last weeks heavy rain. Today was the day, the river was clear but still with plenty of flow and about 10 inchs above summer levels. The temp of the water has dropped since my last outing, starting to wonder how this will affect the mornings fishing? Set up with 2 heavy shrimp on my indicator furled leader. Started at a large bend in the river, nothing much going on, eventually a small Grayling about 15cm, then nothing. Worked my way upstream picking up the odd fish, but really hard work. I had to be home by lunch so started back to the car. One last cast from the bank on a very slippery muddy slope! Then I hooked into a large fish, now I had problems, I'm half way up a bank unable to get in at this point with a large fighting fish which I could do very little with! Time for a comedy sketch, sliding down the slope, rod in hand trying to fight this fish which now wanted to go beneath a small tree, hanging over the river passing my rod around the tree the sliding into the river! Still in trouble now I am unable to lift the rod due to tree cover, time to collapse the rod and hand line in the fish! After all that I am rewarded with a fish of 39cm. Something that I really was not expecting today. Hope you like the photos.

Simon.

Simon.A.Hayes

Postby JDP1292 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Nice catch there! Glad to see you're getting out
JDP1292

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Wow, nice fat fish! What a fight too!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Freezing Trip!!

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:55 am

As I have been stuck in Glasgow for the last 3 weeks I needed a fix on the river! Problem being is the severe weather we are having in the UK. One of the coldest nights, measured -11.5 on our weather station. Sonia said I was mad. Anyway I decided to give it a go. By the time I got onto the river the temp was still a very low -6.5, I set up the Tenakra with a couple of heavy nymphs. The wading was fine only major problem was the furled leader, every time I cast it was getting stiffer and stiffer, it was like having another rod connected to the tip! After 20mins had to give up as the freezing water on the leader had beaten me. No fish but a fantastic looking river. Hope the photos look as good as the real thing.

Simon :P
Simon.A.Hayes

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara UK