The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Tenkara on the West Fork

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara on the West Fork

Postby rsetina » Sun May 23, 2010 8:24 pm

We got up early Saturday morning and headed to the West Fork of the San Gabriel River. We found the river high due to run off of the snow from this winters snow pack in the local mountains but still very fishable. There's a paved road that runs along the river for 7 miles but due to the fires last year the road is closed from the 2 mile marker up just as the catch and release section begins.

That was a little disappointing because most of the better fishing is up river from that point. I believe some anglers still fished up pasted the closed sections of the canyon but Sherry and I thought it best to obey the signs and stay out of the area. Still we had a very nice day on the water together. I used my 11' Iwana exclusively for this trip wanting to get a feel for how it casts and fishes. I didn't think I'd like it as much as my Ayu, but I was wrong. It's a very nice rod and did a great job reaching all the water I wanted to fish.

It took me a while to get to this spot and I didn't catch any fish in this pool but it was a beautiful spot to fish just below the catch and a release section. The fire didn't reach the water this far down and the plants are much thicker than I remember from a couple of years ago.

Two winters ago we had a very cold winter and heavy wet snow had accumulated on the tree branches breaking many of them from the weight. You can see them still piled up creating log jams.

The water is still off color from the fires but clear enough to see the fish, but more importantly, the fish can see our flies.

All the fish were small but that's normal for the San Gabriel. They are very eager to eat and we had lots of fun catching fish all morning.Image

On the way back to the car we decided to fish up Bear Creek, a tributary to the San Gabriel. The water is always gin clear on the Bear and the fish can be very spooky. We didn't fish here long but long enough to catch a couple of fish.

I thought I add a few photos of the variety of flowers in the canyon. Hope you enjoyed our trip. Until next time!

Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Tenkara on the West Fork

Postby Jay K » Sun May 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Gorgeous pictorial post - thanks for sharing. Didn't get out to fish myself, but really enjoyed living vicariously through your post.
Jay K

Postby LMarshall » Sun May 23, 2010 9:44 pm

Cool! Good to hear you got out and had a good time, looks like great water!

I'm surprised the trout population is still so healthy despite the fires upstream.
LMarshall

Postby rsetina » Sun May 23, 2010 10:07 pm

I was surprised at the numbers of fish too. The San Gabriel River, east and west forks, are part of the law suit that now prohibits stocking fish in either of them. I thought for sure the fires would have killed off the fish population on the West Fork but they survived quite well which is good to see. I let everyone I see on the water know that the CDFG isn't stocking certain rivers anymore.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby solocanoe » Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 am

thanks for sharing the pics and the report, Rick.

really pretty stuff! :D
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby rapidan » Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 am

Awesome post, thanks for sharing! I like that you took some wildflower photos as well. All great shots.

Jeremy
rapidan

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Great pictures - looks like a really fun outing. Shame about the sections that were closed, but it's probably for the best long term. You guys really have some beautiful streams out west, very different from what I'm accustomed to fishing.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby Morgan » Tue May 25, 2010 8:14 am

Great post -- really enjoyed it.
Morgan

Return to Your Tenkara Experience