Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern

Your experiments and findings on tenkara fly-patterns and fly-tying.

The Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:05 pm

The Well-Hung Foam Spider pattern is probably as close to a One-Fly Pattern Concept as I am ever going to get. And I have been fishing it a lot for my stream fishing over the last 3 years, but it also works well on stillwaters too - All though this pattern has been in development for more than twenty years now, here is the Materials Listing for what I believe is its best and final form:

THE WELL-HUNG FOAM SPIDER MATERIALS LIST:

HOOK: #13 TMC 212TR or 212Y - like a Klinkhamer hook but shorter - #13s because 14s were taken too deeply and 12s were too big and often put the fish off.

THREAD: 70D, Black Ultra Thread.

YARN UNDER BODY: Wrapped with Jamieson's, Color 101 Shetland Black, Wool Yarn.

HACKLE: Gray Partridge, with half of the fibers stripped off the inside curve, tied in tip first, then wrapped around the foam tie in point.

OVER BODY FOAM: 2MM thick, Scintilla brand, #14 Creme in color, cut to a 3/8th" wide disc, bow-tie notched out with a caddis-wing cutting tool.

TYING INSTRUCTIONS:

1. The most time consuming part of tying this fly is forming the foam bow-tie pieces, and then preparing the partridge hackle. Start by cutting a number of 3/8th inch wide discs out of the foam sheet material with a 3/8th inch Hole Punch, then notch them at the mid point to form an hourglass profile, with the waist being about an 1/8th of an inch wide. Although they are not as pretty, the scrap parts of the foam sheet can be used to make additional bow-tie pieces, if the discs are cut within an 1/8th of an inch apart - you will see what I mean when you cut your discs.

2. Select well marked (high-contrast) Partridge Hackle feathers, removing all the fluff from the bases, and moisten the feather, pulling all the hackle fibers back against the grain except for the very tip end. Putting hackle pliers on the tip of the hackle makes this much easier to accomplish. On most partridge hackles the hackle stem will have a slight curve. Turn the feather concave side up and strip all the inside curve fibers off of the feather stem. Trim the tip to form a small triangle in back of the tie in point, and set the prepared hackles aside for future use.

3. Cut a 3 to 4 inch long length of yarn for each fly to be tied.

4. Place a hook in the vise and tie in the thread right behind the hook's eye, wrap the thread back to where the hook shank starts to bend down, and stop.

5. Tie in the yarn at the bend and and wrap it on down and around the hook bend to where the thread forms a 45 degree angle to the point of the hook, then wrap the thread back up to the tie in point, and half-hitch.

6. Now make one turn of the yarn flat, then twist it twice (or more depending on how thick of a body you want), and continue wrapping the yarn on up to the waiting thread, and half-hitch there again.

7. Now let the yarn untwist, and as you did before wrap the yarn down on top of the hook shank with the thread to the back of the hook eye, and return the thread back to the tie in point. Again make one flat-wrap and then twist the yarn to match the body thickness as you did before, wrapping the yarn back to the waiting thread and tie it off and trim the excess yarn away.

8. Tie in the hackle by the tip, concave side facing up, with the stem sticking out in front of the hook's eye. Now use a loose wrap of thread to tie in the foam bow-tie piece on top of the hook shank and slightly to the near side, so it will center as you pull up to tighten the foam down with thread tension, now do a 3-turn whip finish to secure everything.

9. Wrap the hackle in between the foam over-body and the yarn under-body, clock-wise, 1 1/2 to 2 times and tie it down and trim the hackle stem away, now whip-finish right in between the hackle fibers and trim the thread away. Put a drop of head cement on top of the whip finish above the foam and your Well-Hung Foam Spider is complete.

CONCLUSIONS: This pattern has a number of advantages over many other patterns you could fish. It floats surprisingly well and is quite durable, so far my Personal Best is 100 trout on a single spider pattern. The hackle contributes nothing to floating this fly. It does parachute the fly down on the water far more gently than the way most ant and beetle patterns land on the water, and this spider is a lot more visible to the angler than ants and beetle patterns are on or in the water. And that creme colored foam is also highly visible when turbulent waters take the fly subsurface. And the fish are equally willing to take it on top as well as under the water. The hackle also provides a lot of wiggling-leg motion for the fish to see, and the always well-under-the-water Well-Hung wool under-body appeals to fish that are put off by high riding dry flies - its the best of both worlds all in one fly pattern. Is it a terrestrial? Is it an emerger? Is it a spider that has something in its death grip, giving the fish a choice of two for the price of one? Who knows? I don't. What I can say is that, if the presentations and drifts are good, the Well-Hung Foam-Spider works very consistently a lot, if not most, of the time.
Last edited by Karl Klavon on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Klavon

Re: The Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern

Postby Vince_villavivencio » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Got a picture of the Well-Hung Foam Spider?
Vince_villavivencio

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 pm

IMG_0599.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg
It is said that a picture is worth 1,000 words of explaination so here are a couple of pics to (hopefully) make up for my writing deficiencies.
Last edited by Karl Klavon on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Klavon

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Here is a source and a picture for the Tiemco Hooks the that The Well Hung Foam Spider is tied on:
https://www.feather-craft.com/tmc-212tr ... erger-hook
Karl Klavon

Re: Tying Well-Hung Foam Spider Patterns' to Tippet Knots

Postby Karl Klavon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 am

All Parachute Patterns present some fly-to-tippet knot tying problems: Like how do you tie the fly on to the tippet without entangling some of the hackle fibers in the knot, and how do you trim the tag end of the knot just tied without cutting off some of the parachute hackle barbs on the fly?

Here is where the FlySpoke Knot is a great aid in accomplishing these things, because it allows you to tie the fly joining knot, pull it back out beyond the parachute hackle to trim away the tag end, and then guide the knot back down to tighten on the hook eye by pulling on the standing line. In putting up the following video some confusing information needs to be corrected. FlySpoke calls the knot he is tying and testing a Double Davie Knot, which it clearly is not! Since FlySpoke came up with this knot variation I have given it his name to eliminate the confusion. The actual tying of the FlySpoke Knot begins at 2 minuets and 30 seconds into the video, if you do not wish to view the testing procedures at the beginning of the tape. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBnuYu9P6yU
Karl Klavon

Postby Vince_villavivencio » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks for the picture. I'm going to give this fly a try.

Vinny
Vince_villavivencio

Re: One-Fly Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern Results

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:06 pm

The snow pack was 178% of normal in the Sierra East of where I live and fish this year, so the fishing season started about 2 months late for me, and even now, there are streams still running too much water to fish well. Up to this point I have fished 8 streams, 7 of them with the Well Hung Foam Spider pattern exclusively. Here is a tally on how it did up to this point:

July 9th, R Creek, 3 browns.

July 19th, S Creek, (fishing the Two-Toned X-Rated Ant pattern instead of the spider for comparative purposes - 2 browns).

July 23rd, C Creek, 52 browns and 8 brook trout.

Aug. 1st, Q Creek, 20 browns, 12 on the Orange Peacock Herl version and 8 on the Black Wool Yarn version - no difference.

Aug. 8th, East Fork of D Creek, 18 browns and 4 rainbows.

Aug. 19th, B Creek, 8 rainbows and and 4 browns.

Aug. 21st, upper D Creek, 20 browns and 3 rainbows.

Aug. 29th, R Creek, 24 browns and 1 brook trout.

My old flies consisted of 6 of the Orange dyed natural Peacock Herl versions of the Well Hung Foam Spider pattern, and it took until this last trip for me to loose all of them. On the one day that I fished both the Orange and the Black Wool ties, I could detect no difference in how the trout reacted to and took the different color variations. In theory, the black model should have a slight trout vision advantage, and the wool model is also more durable as well. But both seemed to catch fish just fine. My normal standard operating procedure is to change fly patterns after catching 10 fish. At times some patterns will work better than others. But in the small in fertile freestone streams that I fish, any fly pattern that resembles some kind of bug will usually be taken if it is presented well and the fish are not spooked by the angler, so pattern isn't usually a deal breaker. After doing this experiment, I can see how a One-Fly Angler can easily catch his fair share of fish, no matter what fly pattern he chooses to use....Karl.
Karl Klavon

The Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern Cream Foam Source

Postby Karl Klavon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:22 am

It has come to my attention that sources for the Cream colored 2 mm foam are few and somewhat difficult to find, so here is a source with reasonable foam prices and shipping rates: https://www.hopperfishing.com/pro-shop/

I just ordered 4 packs of 4" X 6", 2 mm Cream Foam, with each pack containing two foam sheets, and the total cost came to only $11.00 dollars. Shipping was a very reasonable $3.00 dollars to my address. Because they specialize in Hopper tying supplies, they also carry a very complete line of foam cutting tools that will make nice notches in the foam discs for the Hourglass shape in tying the Well Hung Foam Spider pattern. Karl.
Karl Klavon

Re: The Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern Foam Cutting Tool

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:51 am

I was not aware of the availability of River Road Creations' Spider Pattern Foam Cutting Tool. All the fly fishing catalogs I have (all 2019s) do not list it but, here is a link to one vendor who is selling them: https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/river-road-spider-foam-body-cutter.html And, there is one on its way to yours truly as we speak.

For this Well Hung Spider application, the under-body foam extension piece the cutter cuts will not be used or needed. It can be easily eliminated by measuring the over all body length that you desire and cutting a foam strip to that width from the foam sheet. Then the cut your over body Foam Spider pieces to that length, which will eliminate the unneeded foam extension piece. This will be much simpler, easier and quicker, with much more consistent results, and less expensive than having to buy both a hole punch and a separate foam cutting tool to do the same job. I apologize to anyone who may have already made an investment in a hole punch and or foam cutting tool. If you have, there is a pattern called the Foam Disc Beetle that you may find interesting and still be able to use your hole punch on. I am Sorry for any inconvenience I may have acidently caused....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Flies