The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

First Real Tenkara Outing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First Real Tenkara Outing

Postby Rebecca Allen » Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 am

Received the Iwana this past winter and tried it out briefly during the cold months. Didn't know what to think - saw potential - but needed more observations. The one thing that was clear is that I would have to in some way mark the line so I knew when the furled leader ended and the tippet began. Well, yesterday I took her out again and all I can say is what a hoot! I marked the end of the leader with a short section of red amnesia and that made all the difference in the world. Caught lots of small trout (i.e., baby steelhead) and actually found landing them to be quicker and less troublesome on the Tenkara. I also think handling the occasional largish fish (12 - 14) will be very do able. Finally, being able to wiggle through heavy brush without trying to thread a rod through it is just plain appreciated. I did end up with a bit of a a birds nest in the leader a couple of times, but it was easily fixed. I ended up staying way way past the time I was supposed to get off the river simply because I was having way too much fun. Can't wait till next weekend!
Rebecca Allen

Re: First Real Tenkara Outing

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Hey Rebecca, thanks for posting your experience. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and the feedback.
Also, one thing some people do with the traditional lines is put some type of really small "indicator" into the line by simply "untwisting" the furled line and weaving some type of bright line/yarn into it. Just a thought if you're looking for an alternative to amnesia and extra knots.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby pszy22 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:14 am

Rebecca,

It is amazing how much fun even the little ones are. Don't know what you were using as a fly, but if you haven't already done so, try using some sort of a dry. It's like waving a piece of yarn in front of a litter of kittens. I like to keep the fly moving fairly actively, the contortions the young fish go thru trying to grab the fly is "priceless".

p.s. bring a flashlight, you'll be fishing longer than you planned.

p.p.s. And of course watch out for any drop back steelhead who want to come in and spoil the fun.
pszy22

Postby Rebecca Allen » Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 am

Daniel - Thanks for the hint - that would make for a cleaner connection and serve the purpose as well. Thanks for bringing Tenkara to the US too - it is such a simple, efficient, effective and fun way to fish. Will give it a go this weekend on the fabled Holy Waters of the Ausable.

pszy22 - Took a dry a few times, but what they really wanted was a wet fly - water was a bit dirty for good dry fly action. Thinking this weekend will be about perfect for playing with the little buggers up top.
Rebecca Allen

Postby pszy22 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Have fun on the Holy Waters. Make sure you get out on the Muskegon at least a time or two over the course of the next month. Fishing will be great.
pszy22

Return to Your Tenkara Experience