Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

traditional line casting

traditional line casting

Postby Bill_DeLanney » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:00 pm

I am wanting to cast tusa traditional line. I know to keep the line out of the water. But once the fly lands and I am ready to make another cast can I lower the rod and drop the line onto the water and start my backcast?
Bill_DeLanney

Re: traditional line casting

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:27 am

Hi Bill. Sure you can do that if you want to, but what purpose would it accomplish? Just go into a nice crisp back cast any time you want to make a new cast as the line being held up and of the water gives you all the tension needed to make a back cast and an accurate fore cast. Firm on the back cast, with a solid stop and wait for the line to straighten, then a much more gentle fore cast, with a high stop to insure a fly first presentation.

If you have fished the fly out down stream of your casting position, you can lower the line to the water to Water-Load the rod, making it possible to make a fore cast with out having to even bother making a back cast. Try it and see what works out the best for you. What works the best for you is the right way of doing Tenkara fly casting.
Karl Klavon

Re: traditional line casting

Postby Bill_DeLanney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

Karl, Thank you very much for your help. I took it out this morning to a small creek. On my forward cast fly hit the water first and with 3ft of tippet was able to keep all the line out of the water. Made a backcast without lowering the rod and the another forward cast and hooked a small brown trout. This line is so easy to work with and the 11 foot length is perfect for my Sato rod.
Bill_DeLanney

Return to General technique