Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What weights (#wt) are the Tenkara rods considered?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: What weights (#wt) are the Tenkara rods considered?

Postby Markpdx » Wed May 22, 2019 12:00 am

I agree with Randy,
Since the very first day I received my Amago and tried to cast level line into a 10 knot wind, I started using 1-3 wt floating lines in many situations. I immediately took of the traditional lillian and replaced it with a loop attachment for reliable loop-to-loop attachments of any line.
I make my 1-3 wt lines up loop-to-loop for ease of attachment, and in lengths of 13.5', 16', 22', 28', 35', and 40 feet. Anything longer than 16' is for dry fly sight fishing, or fishing on the swing on big water that holds bigger fish. I almost always use a leader equally to the length of my Amago for everything but traditional level line fishing, for better presentation. I also tie up my own multi weight leaders and tippets.
I typically use 4X as the heaviest of any tippet weights.
Casting 30'-40' with a 1-3 wt is easy with my Amago, when desired.
I even have 1-3 wt fly line set up to use the Amago for multi nymph drop shot fishing.
It is a do anything rod and definitely not limited to constrains of tradition.
While I have thrown all kinds of traditional files on my Amago, my preferences has always been numerous Kebari styled flies, all of my tying.

Mark in Portland
TUSA Amago, TUSA Ito
Markpdx

Re: What weights (#wt) are the Tenkara rods considered?

Postby Markpdx » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm with Randy.
Most of this discussion is related to Tenkara rods fishing with more traditional-like level lines.
As soon as one introduced longer floating fly lines into the equation, little of the other comments matter. Then it does become important to have some reference of rod backbone for casting the heavier lines.
I fish whatever fly line setup is appropriate for the fishing situation I am in.

Three years ago I received my Amago. Went right out side and cast the TUSA 4.5 level line in a 5-10 mph wind and was terribly disappointed. Couldn't cast anything to a spot I wanted the fly to go to. Went inside and did exactly what Randy is referring to with a 3wt floating fly line and went outside in the same wind. Spot on.
That got me to experimenting. I started making up 3wt floating in 13', 20', 25', 30', 35' + leader/tippet. They all cast magnificently. Shoot, I can even single-hand Spey cast that long line for when I have trees and brush behind me.
Where I fish these non-traditional Tenkara floating setup are for big rivers like the Deschutes when fishing "on the swing" is the appropriate method of fishing for catching more fish, because there isn't a hatch happening close to shore. Don't get me wrong, I catch a lot of fish with a level line close to shore when a hatch is happening, or on small waters when reach and wind aren't an issue.
For me a Tenkara rod can be a "do a lot of things" rods as long as you don't want to be limited "just" to tradition. I don't.
So, yes, if you want to expand your fishing opportunities, or want to expand the market for Tenkara rods...know some rod equivalents would be helpful to a lot of anglers using something with innovation. TSU, I love your rods, but other builders are addressing these changes to inform their clients. You should too, and let them chose how they want to fish their rods. Help them.

Mark in Oregon
TUSA Amago, TUSA Ito
Markpdx

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods