Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Shines On Clear Creek

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara Shines On Clear Creek

Postby mdphillips » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 pm

I arranged a DIY Tenkara trip on Clear Creek between Golden and Idaho Springs. A couple of guys in the parking area told me to rig the famous "dry-dropper" if I wanted to catch fish. I told them I was using a Tenkara rod, and both just looked at me with no response. The Iwana performed flawlessly! I fished an amano kebari and oki kebari alternately all day. In about four hours, I landed seven really nice rainbows. I hooked a huge brown trout, but he jumped once and broke my tippet. I had a tippet ring tied onto the end of the TenkaraUSA 3.5 level line. Upon a closer look, I believe the tippet ring actually "cut" the tippet. I cut the tippet ring off, tied the tippet directly to the level line with a double surgeon's knot and kept fishing. It was my first time fly fishing in Colorado (I live in Tennessee), and I caught all of the trout on kebari flies. The Oki I tied myself. Needless to say, I was stoked! There was no mending. No piles of line at my feet. I was able to cast left hand or right hand all day. Everything I needed was kept in a small, lightweight San Juan chest pack, which I use as a semi-sling pack. I could also hold a wading staff in one hand and cast with the other. Why would anyone not want to fish Tenkara? I am a faithful convert!!!
mdphillips

Re: Tenkara Shines On Clear Creek

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 pm

mdphillips, sounds like a nice trip. Glad the Iwana served you well.

Thanks for posting!

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby mdphillips » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks, TJ!
mdphillips

Postby mak1277 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Sounds awesome.

Dry/dropper does work just fine on tenkara rods, too, though.
mak1277

Return to Your Tenkara Experience