The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Stanislaus River, CA

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Stanislaus River, CA

Postby Davidpcvsamoa » Sat May 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Last weekend was first flyfishing outing and first outing with a Tenkara Rod. I explored a few of the areas visited in the Daniel's Not Cal Tenkara outing along Tuolumne River and Cherry Creek. I did not have any success with the fish but I think it may be attributed to the high water volumes as much as my lack of experience.

I decided to give it another go this weekend and try the S. fork of the Stanislaus River which was supposed to have lower water volumes relative to the rivers in the area. I didn't catch anything but I also didn't see any fish. The outing provided a good opportunity to work on my casting and get a better feel for the rod. I already feel a world of difference in my comfort level from the first outing to the second. I spent a lot more time with a fly in the water rather than dealing with knots, tangles and snags.

Keep in mind I am a novice, but I thought the water looked fishable judging from the pictures and videos seen on this site. I did notice some winged bugs on the water but not very many. I had some parachute adams and elk hair cadis with me so those are what I used. The high was about 60 degrees and there were some patches of snow left on the ground. It was a great day to be in the Sierras hiking along the river.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they would fish a river like this in these early season conditions?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Davidwage/Tenkara#

Thanks,

David
Davidpcvsamoa

Re: Stanislaus River, CA

Postby pszy22 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Generically speaking and in my humble opinion -

The two flies you mentioned are good generic patterns, you can fish those with confidence.

I just about always try to fish seams, those are the boundaries between two dissimilar streams of current. The fish will sit in the slower water, watching the faster water which serves as a food conveyor belt. If you have trouble seeing the seems, look for long strings of bubbles and foam. These are called foam lines. Wherever foam gets concentrated in a river, food items also get concentrated. Foam means food! So try fishing you fly right in the foam line.

Once other quick suggestion, when possible, try to fish when the fish and bugs are most active. That's usually early morning and late evening. You can indeed catch fish all day, but once the sun is high overhead, the fishing gets much tougher. I see alot of people just coming out when the fishing slows down in the morning, and leaving in the evening just when the fishing is picking up. They do at least get a nice suntan for their efforts.

Best thing to do is keep fishing, the first fish is the toughest, everything gets easier from then on (at least most of the time).
pszy22

Re: Stanislaus River, CA

Postby Davidpcvsamoa » Wed May 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement. I will go out again as soon as I get the opportunity. Perhaps it will need to be a camping trip to be fishing at dawn and dusk.
Davidpcvsamoa

Return to Your Tenkara Experience