Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Amago vs Ito

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago vs Ito

Postby fhphillipos » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47 pm

If the Amago and Ito are considered big river big fish rods under what circumstances would you choose one over the other
fhphillipos

Re: Amago vs Ito

Postby John_Geer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 am

Hello,

Basically, the Amago is a stiffer rod than the Ito. I use it when I feel extra back bone will be helpful to turn a fish and bring it to hand more quickly. An example would be a river where the average size is larger, or if I'm fishing for a species like bas that tend to charge for cover when hooked. I would also give the Amago the nod if I plan on fishing weighted flies.

The Ito is a bit more flexible, which makes it a nicer casting rod, (for me), especially when fishing lighter level lines. It's probably a little more fun to play smaller fish on, also. Its maximum length is longer, which I appreciate on larger western rivers. My home river is the Gallatin River in Montana, and the Ito seems like it's designed for it. I also fish the Madison quite a bit, and usually use my Amago there, although when I've fished the Ito there, it hasn't really failed me.

Some folks just prefer stiffer or softer actions, and may make their decisions based on that. I hope this helps. Best of luck whatever you decide!

John
Tenkara USA

Last bumped by fhphillipos on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 am.
John_Geer

Return to Tenkara Rods