The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Mother's Day Amago bass

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Mother's Day Amago bass

Postby rvrgzr » Sun May 09, 2010 11:15 am

Yes, this 'mother' was returned to the water quickly.

rvrgzr

Re: Mother's Day Amago bass

Postby wrknapp » Sun May 09, 2010 11:34 am

Looks like that new Amago is just the ticket for you. How about your own thoughts on it versus the Yamame for bass and bluegill and other warm water species? You have enough experience now with both to illustrate the differences.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rvrgzr » Mon May 10, 2010 5:20 am

wrknapp wrote: How about your own thoughts on it versus the Yamame for bass and bluegill and other warm water species? You have enough experience now with both to illustrate the differences.

Randy

The Yamame is better for casting poppers and more wind-resistant flies, in my opinion. The irony is the Amago, due to it's flexibility, has worked better for me in fighting large bass (over 2 lbs) and big bluegills. I've had the aforementioned fish pop off the 5x tippet when using the Yamame.

When Czech nymph fishing with split shot and/or weighted flies, the Yamame is better for casting the weight, than the Amago. Since I have not been able to use the Amago in waters that have large trout, I don't know how well it will work. I have stopped using the Yamame in waters that have large trout, since I lost so many fish due to their breaking the 5x tippet. Will the Amago be able to flex enough to turn the rush of a 20 inch rainbow? I'll let you know. It sure seems to handle the runs of 3 1/2 bass. But, we know there's a difference between the strength and speed of pond bass and river raised trout.
rvrgzr

Postby wrknapp » Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 am

I wonder if these rods might handle heavier tippets in the right hands? It seems to me that the 5x 5lb limitation may not be necessary once the learning curve on fish handling has reached a certain point. Now that extra parts are more readily available, perhaps it is worth some experimentation. If one keeps the rod angle low enough to avoid the high sticking that is so effective landing small fish, perhaps one can use a heavier tippet with any of the rods. I may take the plunge and experiment a bit. It is worth breaking a tip or two to me to know the limitations better. I'll report here if I learn more.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rvrgzr » Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm

wrknapp wrote: I may take the plunge and experiment a bit. It is worth breaking a tip or two to me to know the limitations better. I'll report here if I learn more.

Randy

Daniel! Oh, Daniel! Don't blame me for this one. And has it been 2 or 3 tips I've broken?

Good luck with the experimentation, Randy, seriously, and let me know how things work out. I do think the rod held parallel to the water while fighting a large fish makes a difference.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience