The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Cold first outing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Cold first outing

Postby Red Raider » Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 pm

I just returned from my first outing with my Yamame. We spent 4 days on the Arkansas River in Colorado. The weather was very trying. First day was beautiful and a great day to get acquainted with my new rod. I received a great deal of abuse from my 4 western fly rod friends. Second day was extremely windy. The Yamame handled the wind as well as the “other” rods. Third day still windy but also a great deal of snow and cold. By now my friends were asking to try their hand at this new rod. Fourth day more wind and less snow. The cold stopped the usual Caddis hatch that we hoped to encounter. About the trout—we caught a few. I was able to catch on a Parachute Adams and also a Pheasant Tail. Sorry no pictures the camera was buried under too many clothes. I took my western fly rod just in case I needed it but I never took it out of the vehicle.
Adverse weather conditions cannot reduce the blessings of time spent with friends & family.
Red Raider

Re: Cold first outing

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 am

brrrr!
Suppose the weather can only get better from here on.
Looking forward to future reports. And, thanks for keeping the tenkara rod in hand.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Cold first outing

Postby rsetina » Wed May 12, 2010 6:52 am

Sounds like you had a nice time the first couple of days. That wind can cut right through you and make a nice day just miserable. Glad you had a good time with your friends though. Summer's coming and your friends will have a chance to try that rod again. Did they say anything about how they liked it?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience