Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Am i breaking tippet or the knot?

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Am i breaking tippet or the knot?

Postby rc51kid » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am

I am using a dragontail 360 rod with 4x moonlit tippet. Using a improved clinch knot at the fly. Most fish are 4-8" and i ussually do fine. But every onve in a while when i have a good strike i will pull up hard and snap the tippet. To be honest i think it is my bad technique of pulling to hard to set the hook. I know better but some times get excited.

I assume I am snapping the tippet. But i was reading and my 4x sounds thicker than many people using the 5x or 6x. I started thinking maybe i am tying the knots poorly and that is what is comming undone. If the improved clinch is pulled tight sloppy will it come undone?

Also after reading that many people are using thinner tippet i am thinking of making the switch. Will 5 or 6x have a better presentation over my 4x or will it not matter?

I am about 90% shure that when i snap tippet it is my bad technique. So i will work on that. But i am also trying to figure out if it is the sloppy knot that is failing or my 4x tippet.

And also...if i AFTER fixing the above problems will switching to a thiner 5 or 6x help with presebtation and catching fish?

Kind of 3 questions in one but all related. Thanks.
rc51kid

Re: Am i breaking tippet or the knot?

Postby Rob Ruff » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:37 am

Finesse is the name of the game in Tenkara. You don't need much force to set the hook like one would think. That's why many of us are advocates for the barbless hook. Without that little barb, there is less effort needed for the hook to penetrate.

5X is the norm and yes the presentation will improve and you'll catch more fish. I've landed plenty of fish with little trouble using 5 and 6X tippets. For me 4X is too much line.

I suggest you try a 5X fluorocarbon tippet especially if you are not fishing dry flies. The fluorocarbon tippet has a higher knot strength and is more resistant to abrasion that the nylon tippet. Costs a little more.
Rob Ruff

Postby rc51kid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks i will order some 5x. Right now i am using moonlite which i like better than what ever i had before. Is that a good brand to stick with?
rc51kid

Postby Rob Ruff » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 pm

I use Orvis brand tippet. It's most consistent and reliable that I have found.
Rob Ruff

Return to Tenkara Lines