****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Tangle -> Dangle -> Mangle

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tangle -> Dangle -> Mangle

Postby pszy22 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:31 pm

My wife and I spent the past weekend fishing our home river. For the most part, fishing was predictable and mostly non-eventful. Lots of bugs hatching on the water, and lots of eager stockers. My wife always particularly enjoys catching fish on pretty much every cast.

I'm not sure exactly how, but my wife developed one heck of a tangle, her entire leader was tightly bound into a fist sized snarl. I took her rod, gave her mine, and told her to go on fishing while I resolved the mess.

I moved out to mid stream to get out of her way, and had the line dangling downstream. I was still holding the rod, but was looking down at my chest pack to find my tippet spool. I was just about to put my rod under my arm to free both hands, when I see a mighty swirl at the end of my line.

More out of reflex than anything else, I lift the rod to about 45 degrees, which immediately causes a Michael Jordan like leap out of a fair sized steelhead. I'm pretty sure I dropped my rod down a bit, but by the time the fish hit the water, the force on the rod had been released.

I figure, oh well, that will save me from having to cut off that fly. As I lift the rod up, I see the knot on my fly hadn't failed, rather the fish took off with fly, tangled leader, furled line and lilian. Had the strike happen a few seconds later once the rod was under my arm, I'm convinced I would have probably lost my entire rod. Thanks to the fishing gods for small favors.

Although that put an end to my fishing for the day, (I didn't want to reclaim my rod from my wife when she is having fun catching), it was worth it to see that fish do his cartwheel.
pszy22

Re: Tangle -> Dangle -> Mangle

Postby rsetina » Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Good story! Sorry to hear about the lillian and coming loose. That must have been depressing but it was really nice of you to let your wife continue fishing.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rapidan » Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 am

Cool little story, thanks for sharing!

Jeremy
rapidan

Postby Rebecca Allen » Tue May 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Nice story and exactly why I don't want to fish the Iwana until I know all those pesky big rainbows are back out to the big water.
Rebecca Allen

Postby pszy22 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Rebecca,

Why does the theme music from Jaws keep playing in the back of my mind?
pszy22

Return to Your Tenkara Experience