Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Wood tenkara fly box

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Wood tenkara fly box

Postby agglutination » Wed May 27, 2015 2:46 pm

I made this little guy for my tenkara outings. I've been thinking about making some from nicer wood (probably mesquite) and hardware, but I wanted to get some feedback on the design from fellow tenkara users. I'm not looking to get any sales here, as I think that would be unfair to the good TenkaraUSA folks who host this forum.

agglutination

Re: Wood tenkara fly box

Postby Chiseler » Thu May 28, 2015 12:57 am

Nice job on your fly box
醜い何かを持っていたことがない
Chiseler

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu May 28, 2015 9:48 am

Very cool. I like it!
TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby johnjmcmullen » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:11 pm

I love this. Could a lanyard be added and some way to make sure it stays closed? Simply nice work. I would love to have one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnjmcmullen

Postby Adam Trahan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:11 pm

DIG the round box with pivoting lid idea.

If I where taking this as far as I could go, I would keep the shape and lid and think about the following.

Do away with the three compartments and make it one big compartment, maybe with a magnet bottom.

On the outside, cut into the side, a shallow U so that the box can be used as a line holder, or two channels, or one big one and you can do a side by side.

THAT would be something I would think about.

Serves a couple of purposes.
Adam Trahan

Postby jasonkonopinski » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Nice work! I like the idea of a dual fly box and line keeper. For me, the three compartment design looks to be ideal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
jasonkonopinski

Postby Kuhlow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:51 am

Nicely done agglutination! I had created something very similar a few years ago that also incorporated Adam's ideas. I also included a hole in the middle so that the holder/fly box would slip over my tenkara rod to leave the line attached like you would with a traditional plastic blue line holder. After seeing another forum members post where he used a foam pool noodle as a holder and added a compartment for flies I thought I could build on the idea and create something that would be literally the only thing you needed on the stream. I made compartments for flies, a thumb sized nipper and 2" long blunt nosed tweezers for hook removal and outside grooves for line and tippet. I had two problems though.....keeping the lid from sliding open around the pivot (my magnets were not strong enough) and keeping the line from unraveling. In addition, even with very light wood, the whole thing became a little to heavy to use the interior hole to slide over the rod. I would come back to it every once in awhile to work out the problems but then Daniel came out with the new white holder (I wish it had a larger fly compartment) and I kind of gave up on it. If you like the idea of making it more than just a fly box I would encourage you tinker and show us what you come up with. It is the creation of items like yours that inspire creativity in others and leads to even more enjoyable levels of involvement in this sport. And if you just stay with it as a fly box, it's a beautiful one.
Kuhlow

Return to Add-on gear