Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

First Parent-Child Tenkara Experience - Japanese Style

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

First Parent-Child Tenkara Experience - Japanese Style

Postby dwalker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:34 am

It looks like the typical fishing pay pond scene with my son when he was little. Only when he was the age of the children in the video I had not yet heard of Tenkara. Oh, and we didn't have someone like Dr. Ishigaki on hand to help out with the instruction. At least I think Dr Ishigaki is the guy dressed in white. I am partly identifying him from his laugh and his voice.

One big difference I noticed in the video is they start the kids out with long lines. Lines longer than the rod. Which I found kind of surprising. :o Here most adults start out with a line about the same length of the rod or just a little shorter or only a little longer. I guess it's just a different attitude about how to teach tenkara.

The video title translates something like - That First Parent-Child Tenkara Experience.

親子テンカラ体験その壱 - time = 9:27. Posted on YouTube June 22, 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGi-F64vWPI

enjoy,
David
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: First Parent-Child Tenkara Experience - Japanese Style

Postby Paul Gaskell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:28 am

Nice share David.

I like the bit where the adult off camera says 'son what fly are you using???' when the little guy in the maroon t shirt hooks about four fish in four casts. :D
Paul Gaskell

Postby dwalker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Paul Gaskell wrote:Nice share David.
I like the bit where the adult off camera says 'son what fly are you using???' ... :D

Thanks Paul, your observation adds to the fun of the video. While I have learned to read a bit more Japanese or perhaps it is more correct to say I have learned more about Japanese sentence structure that helps me translate written text better and decrease incidences of revealing myself to be a fool. :oops: I don't yet pick up to much from spoken Japanese, so I did not notice the question about the fly.

There is also a shorter part 2 video from this same parent-child event wherein the preferred landing technique seems to be to turn and run away perpendicularly from the water's edge when a fish is hooked. :)

親子テンカラ体験 その弐
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDfKSsFRJE

Hey, you can help me complete a post I made in the Misc section of the forum.
Is there an ETA date for when we can order your Vol 2 DVD?
Will it release simultaneously in both PAL and NTSC video formats?

;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:40 am

Cool video, those kids are lucky to get that kind of instruction so young. :)

Personally, I find it easier to cast lines a little longer than the rod. Theyhey usually have a bit more weight and seem to make it a little easier to aim the fly/line down at the water. It's a little easier to cast a short line too high and have it puddle down. That could just be me, though.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Return to About Tenkara