****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Tenkara on the Little Juniata River in Pennsylvania

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara on the Little Juniata River in Pennsylvania

Postby Anthony » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Well I finally got a good chance to try the Ebisu out under some decent conditions with good water flow and rising fish. The results? Success! I managed to land 5 browns or so on dries, during a pretty good caddis hatch. Maybe I would have gotten more but I had some trouble setting the hook and missed a few and I also lost my Tenkara Line. My casting was a little inadequate because I lost my furled line, along the stream somewhere and had to make do with a stream-side "hand-furled" piece of 0X mono (just a double twisted section about 4-ft long, with about 4 feet of straight 0x, then tippet). It worked ok - but I wasn't patient enough to make a better line at streamside. I was surprised how easily I was able to land the fish - it was no problem at all. The largest was about 14" or so and the Ebisu handled it on 6X tippet quite handily.

All fish were caught on various elk-hair caddis

Here's a few pics: my first Tenkara Trout and some scenery (with my dad)
Attachments
scenery.JPG
scenery.JPG (129.3 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
old ranger.JPG
old ranger.JPG (175.29 KiB) Viewed 6252 times
first tenkara.JPG
first tenkara.JPG (202.24 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Re: Tenkara on the Little Juniata River in Pennsylvania

Postby gentleshepherd » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Very nice - sorry you lost your leader.
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby terry » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:29 am

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
terry

Postby sholgate » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:41 am

Good to see yet another Pennsylvanian with a Tenkara Rod. I am embarrassed to say that I have never fish the Little Juniata River, but would like to. I just order a third traditional line and holder for my second rod. Haven't lost any yet but the first one has seen better days. Maybe we should try to have an "Outing" somewhere in central PA sometime.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby rsetina » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 am

Congratulation on a successful outing with your dad. Father and son fishing! Nothing is better that unless it's with your wife. I'm lucky. You fished one beautiful river there in PA. Definitely a Tenkara stream.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby gentleshepherd » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Steve,

I believe that Troutrageous is putting together an outing sometime in May - not really Tenkara only, but I believe he is taking his rod and I might show up with my 2 rods.

You can track him down at www.paanglers.com or try finding him in one of the forums here on the Tenkara site.

I was in your neck of the woods today shopping with my wife. Couldn't get away long enough to try any of the creeks.
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Also, for those in PA, there will be a Jamboree organized by the folks at http://www.paflyfish.com. There will be some tenkara there too: http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=139
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:31 am

gentleshepherd wrote:Steve,

I believe that Troutrageous is putting together an outing sometime in May - not really Tenkara only, but I believe he is taking his rod and I might show up with my 2 rods.

You can track him down at http://www.paanglers.com or try finding him in one of the forums here on the Tenkara site.

I was in your neck of the woods today shopping with my wife. Couldn't get away long enough to try any of the creeks.

GS is right. It's not so much a fly fishing or tenkara outing, but similar to the PA Fly Fishing forum outing Daniel mentioned it's just a gathering of friends from the PaAnglers.com forum. I'm bringing my tenkara rod - as some of the forum members have asked about it.

Our GTG is the same weekend, 5/22 (unintentional), and is multi-species in nature. Main water will be the Swatara Creek & possibly the Manada Creek. Got folks going out for trout, SM bass, fallfish, panfish, wouldn't even be surprised to see a carp mixed in there. Some will be wading, others floating...basically a fishing free-for all with folks dropping in a different points. And again, it's not fly-fishing exclusive. There will probably be more people with spinning tackle than fly rods. Everybody is welcome.

The overview can be found here:
http://www.paanglers.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=5&id=1830
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Return to Your Tenkara Experience