The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

PA Class A ~ Home Stream

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

PA Class A ~ Home Stream

Postby sholgate » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I never really realized how many fish are in my back yard. I had an hour between work and a rehearsal Monday night and tried out my new Ebisu Rod. 10 fish later, I realized there is a better population in there than I thought. Of course, I was never able to fish like this either though.

By the way, the blood is from my own hand. I fell. :(
Attachments
Park2.jpg
Park2.jpg (143.88 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Park1.jpg
Park1.jpg (146.96 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Re: PA Class A ~ Home Stream

Postby solocanoe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:14 am

now that's sweet!

gives me an idea for a little stream I drive over all the time. I've been waiting for a "day" to get back on the water again....maybe I'll just grab an "hourish" :)

thanks for the pics and post!
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby b_in_az » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:45 am

Beautiful fish and beautiful stream. I wish I had something like that close.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of fly is that in the first picture?
b_in_az

Postby sholgate » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:12 am

b_in_az wrote:Beautiful fish and beautiful stream. I wish I had something like that close.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of fly is that in the first picture?

I catch 80% of all my wild trout (any many stockers) on a prince variant made with black peacock dubbing mix, the fly in the first picture is a walt's worm with a copper bead. Size 14, I think.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Postby b_in_az » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 am

sholgate wrote:I catch 80% of all my wild trout (any many stockers) on a prince variant made with black peacock dubbing mix, the fly in the first picture is a walt's worm with a copper bead. Size 14, I think.

I looked up the walt's worm and it is very similar to a fly I use, only mine uses a shorter hook (3906). Between that and two prince nymphs I tie (one using peacock herl, one using peacock ice) I don't feel the need for any other nymph patterns. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your prince variant if you ever get the chance.
b_in_az

Postby sholgate » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 am

The Prince is a great all-around attractor bug. I have caught hundreds on them (both bass and trout). Anymore I tie them in two sizes, 14 & 12, and 3 weights ... just copper bead, copper bead and lead, and tungsten bead; tan, green and red threads. The Walts worms I tie with lead wire inside. That particular day I was "using up" some of my less popular bugs.

Sounds like we fish pretty similar styles.
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Return to Your Tenkara Experience