****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

ordered my Tenkara gear

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

ordered my Tenkara gear

Postby b_in_az » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:09 pm

I found out today we are going camping next weekend at Oak Creek north of Sedona, so I just ordered a 12' Iwana, traditional line in moss green, and a line holder. Thanks to all for the advice helping me decide what to get. I'll report next week with pictures (hopefully of fish) on my first day of Tenkara fly fishing.
b_in_az

Re: ordered my Tenkara gear

Postby rsetina » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:29 pm

We'll look forward to you posting a report on how things go. Good luck!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby b_in_az » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 pm

My rod and line came today! A couple of observations, since it now looks like it's going to be a couple weeks until I can try it out.

- Ordering and shipping couldn't have gone better. I placed my order Sunday afternoon, received an email with tracking info Monday night, and got it today (Wednesday) via UPS. For comparison around the first of this year I ordered a 3 weight rod and reel direct from a manufacturer having a big sale. Good quality gear, especially for what I paid, but it took 18 days from the day I ordered until it arrived...via UPS. Well done TenkaraUSA for getting your products to your customers quickly.

- Quality looks great. Nice cork, the finish is smooth and no blemishes, no extra epoxy, etc. This rod looks to be very well made.

- I like it that it comes with a rod sock (velcro instead of straps is a GREAT idea), and a very nice tube that reminds me of high end fly rod tubes. It makes me feel like my rod will be safe between home to river.

- This is a LONG rod. My longest regular fly rod is 8.5', so I'm not used to this. But it is so light when fully extended it doesn't feel nearly that long.

- Casts nice in the backyard...really nice. The finger on top of the cork helps, glad they show that in the videos.

- Extending and collapsing is easy and quick. Before I got it I was wondering how I would know if I extended it too tight or too loose, but you can just feel when it's right. Doesn't come loose when casting and collapses easily.

I can't wait to fish with it but so far I am very happy.
b_in_az

Postby rsetina » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 pm

I remember the day my first rod arrived UPS. I had the same reaction as you did. Quality and speed of delivery. Hope to read about your first trip soon. You'll have a great time.

Did you order line and spools? The blue spools Daniel sells make moving from spot to spot very easy and quick. I think I carry 4 or 5 spools with different lines on each. Furled and both the 15 an 10 pound level lines, two different lengths of each. I like being prepared. ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby b_in_az » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 am

I did, I got a furled line and one blue spool. Eventually I'd like to get another furled line (backup) and the level line as well. I think the level line would be useful on the Lower Salt River, about 45 minutes from home, which is the closest trout stream. I'm hoping to make it out there next Saturday morning for a couple hours of fishing. I have been picturing all the spots I like to fish there, and thinking that with Tenkara it would be so much more effective. SRP often releases 1500+ CFS out of the dam, and it means you're constantly mending just to get a few seconds of drift. It will be nice to be able to keep that line off the water. Most of the time there I fish with 15' or so of fly line so Tenkara will easily reach that but without the drag.
b_in_az

Return to Your Tenkara Experience