The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Time to Upgrade, advice welcome.

Discussion on tenkara rods

Time to Upgrade, advice welcome.

Postby Burtonbreck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:50 am

Need some advice on which Tenkara rod to get next? Ive been using the zen fly fishing gear zako Tenkara rod but looking to get something that can handle bigger fish. Im in Colorado and we have a little bit of everything. Ive been fishing smaller streams and creeks and some lake/res inlets. Help me decide on a rod. I will be using it for backpacking trips as well. Thanks in advance.
Burtonbreck

Re: Time to Upgrade, advice welcome.

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Burton,

Daniel as you may know lives in Colorado and his go-to rod has always been the Ito. It handles trout up to 20" rather well.

Is that what you mean by larger trout?

If something larger than 20" into the mid 20" range, then look at the Amago. The Amago is considered our big fish rod and has been known to land fairly large fish including a nice 27" trout in Utah. Has even landed a Pike if you been looking at our blog.

Although the Amago is not designed for Pike <grin>, this rod is 13'6" and has some nice backbone to it. Great choice for larger trout.

Hope this helps.

TJ
Tenkara USA
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Burtonbreck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for the info. To be honest 20" would be plenty of fish so the comment was a little skewed, lol. Im also looking for some orange replacement line if for my current zako rod. What would you recommend?
Burtonbreck

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi Burton, not sure what a Zako rod is, sorry.

If it is a real tenkara rod, then my guess is a standard 3.5 or 4.5 line would work. Can't say for sure as I have no knowledge of your particular rod.

For our tenkara rods, a 3.5 or 4.5 work well.

We are temporarily out of orange 3.5 but do have 4.5 in orange available.

We do have 3.5 in pink though.

We should have more orange 3.5 soon though.

TJ
Tenkara USA
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Hunt4lyf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Dude, go buy the Sato that's for sale in the marketplace right now, it's a killer price and I'd buy it right now if I had the extra cash. Having fished a lot of places here in CO that's all the rod you'd need almost everywhere you go.

Where at in CO are you?
Hunt4lyf

Return to Tenkara Rods