The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Rhodo

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Rhodo

Postby Adam Trahan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:17 pm

1797325_10201949096103911_2084028021_n.jpg

I shaped the handle of my Rhodo to fit my grip. I grip the rod primarily on the butt end with a secondary position near the front of the cork of which I do not like the front swell.

So I took it down with 180 grit on a aluminum T-bar sanding block and then finished it on a granite flat with 380 grit to make it a perfect cylinder shape.

The Rhodo makes the frustrating headwater streams that are choked up with trees rather easy picking now. I LOVE THIS ROD!!!
Adam Trahan

Postby sagebrush » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 am

I took the Rhodo out yesterday 6/4/14 to one of my favorite creeks in WV. generally this stream has a high canopy and I use longer rods. I went 3 miles in and things close in substantially in this area. The rod was loaded with a 3.3m Fujino soft tapered line and 3.5' of 6x flouro. It lays out a very nice line and very straight.

Overall the rod is very accurate for me in all lengths and extremely well balanced too. I like being able to zoom to what I feel is the appropriate length when I want to. Most important the rod is very pleasant to use and you almost forget it is there. It will be going on to my sling pack a lot in the future.

I have been using Seiryu rods most of the time on this type of water in shorter lengths and those too are superb rods but the Rhodo is simply more versatile.

A truly excellent design and very handy for small to medium water. Kudos!
sagebrush

Postby narcodog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Until last week I had just fished the rod in the 10 1/2 length using a furled line. Last week in the Catskill's I took it for a ride to small Brookie stream that I like to fish at least once while there. For most of the day I used it in the 8/10 length. Then I came across I difficult run I hide behind a tree and zoomed it out to 10/6 and wham fish on. The best fish of the day.

All fished were caught on drys with a greased furled line..

I love this rod....
narcodog

Postby tntom » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 am

I have caught a lot of fish on mine right now it's my goto mountain stream rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:53 pm

On a suggestion from Daniel, I purchased a spool of #2.5 and made a line for my Rhodo.

It handles this lite line well, as in ACCURATE.

I used to use a heavier furled and braided line on my headwaters short rods, that was my standard thinking before. Heavier lines were less effected in the cast, more accurate. Heavier as in still Tenkara lite but not level line.

Anyway, now I am really understanding what a great rod the Rhodo is for delicacy in presentation but still able to muscle in a large trout.

Beg borrow or buy a spool of #2.5 and string up.

It makes this rod sing.
Adam Trahan

Postby narcodog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:49 pm

I fished the west fork of the Boulder in MT last week and added two new fish to it's album. A mountain Whitefish and a nice Yellowstone Cutt. What an awesome rod...
narcodog

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods