****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

4-19-2010 fishing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

4-19-2010 fishing

Postby terry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

I was able to make it out again today. Fishing was slow, but as always its nice to get out. I fished only with my 11' Iwana again, I am really digging this rod.

I hiked along this stream:

To reach this tributary:

That turns out to look like this:

Here is a trib to the trib:

I caught a few of these:

There were some of these in the air:

I found a bunch of fiddlehead ferns and collected enough cotton off of them to tie about a 100 flies. Now I just need to wait for it to dry and change color.

[size=150]Northern NY spring woods:

I love rock walls:

Last edited by terry on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
terry

Re: 4-19-2010 fishing

Postby CreationBear » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm

That is beautiful country--my wife and I spent a summer at Cornell a few years back and I really was fascinated by those slate-substrate streams. Unfortunately it so happened that y'all were in the middle of a heat wave and a drought, so I left most of your trout relatively unmolested--glad to see you're making good use of the current conditions. :)
CreationBear

Postby solocanoe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:48 pm

wow that's beauty - both fish and scenery - thanks for sharing!
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby rsetina » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Beautiful water and scenery. Those are some nice little trout in that tributary too. They are much like the fish we catch in the East and West Forks of the San Gabriel river near L.A. I'd be interested in seeing the flies you tie with the fiddlehead fern cotton you collected. I didn't know the fern had cotton that was collectable. Very cool idea!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby terry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 am

rsetina wrote: I'd be interested in seeing the flies you tie with the fiddlehead fern cotton you collected. I didn't know the fern had cotton that was collectable. Very cool idea!

Its something I learned using google translation to go thru Japanese tenkara blogs. I believe its common over there.

http://www.itow.com/amago/b-streams/flytying/zenmai.html
terry

Postby rvrgzr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 am

Beautiful scenery. Except for the lack of rhododendron, I thought your were catching those brookies in the North Carolina mountains. Nice photography. Thanks.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience