The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

The Rhodo not the first 2.7m Tenkara rod

Discussion on tenkara rods

The Rhodo not the first 2.7m Tenkara rod

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:37 am

I just discovered that the Tenryū ( 天竜) company used to make several models of Tenkara rods. Among them was a 2.7m rod. Complete with cork grip. But no worries for the Rhodo, those rods were discontinued in 2011.

Here is a 2007 post, showing a nice picture of the rod. The author of the post states that he had recently purchased a new Tenkara rod for the first time in many years. And the Tenryū 0-27 rod was the one he purchased. Thus, I was able to verify the 0-27model was in production in 2007, I have no idea how long before that date it was being produced. ( but if it was produced from 2007 till 2011, a 5 year run might be about average)

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/takayukioutdoor/diary/200707110000/

This blog post shows the spec sheet on the rod box. Length, weight, number of sections, tip diameter, etc.
2.7m, 47g, 6 sections, 58cm collapsed length . No date on the post, only comments have a date and there are no comments to this blog post. But post on the parent website, below this one and above it, had comments posted 2009 to 2010. The post must have been made between mid 2009 to early 2010.
http://jiiji.naturum.ne.jp/e776408.html

However, as you can see on this next page, all 7 Tenkara rods in the table are listed as a Dead Items. The 0-27 Tenkara rod is no longer in production. The page is not dated, but the popup Spec page, link below the models table, is dated 2011. Thus it ceased production 3 years ago. Note too that it was not a low priced rod. 24,800 yen is about $244.

http://fishing.tenryu-magna.com/deaditem/ayu/tenkara.html

Point is - there was no need to wait so long to produce the Rhodo. At least one 2.7m Tenkara rod, complete with cork grip has been commercially produced before. 3.1 or 3.2m Tenkara rods were not the short length limit for a "real tenkara rod". Indeed, the Tenryū 0-27 predated the start of TUSA.

Anyway, the Rhodo has the 2.7m field alone now, unless you want to go to a seiryu or keiryu rod. However, the Rhodo has to release the blue ribbon for being the first 2.7m Tenkara rod. But the Rhodo retains the first 2.7m triple length Tenkara rod blue ribbon. At least afaik.

;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: The Rhodo not the first 2.7m Tenkara rod

Postby Stephen McGowen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:53 am

Rhodo is not the first 2.7m tenkara rod on sale in the USA.
Allfishingbuy.com has been selling several 2.7m tenkara models for years.
Stephen McGowen

Postby jd_smith » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 am

dwalker wrote:

Anyway, the Rhodo has the 2.7m field alone now, unless you want to go to a seiryu or keiryu rod. However, the Rhodo has to release the blue ribbon for being the first 2.7m Tenkara rod. But the Rhodo retains the first 2.7m triple length Tenkara rod blue ribbon. At least afaik.

;)
D

dwalker you always do some amazing research. I could spend an entire day checking out all of the cool Japanese sites that you link us to.

But for what it's worth, your quote above is only true in part. I know of at least 7 other 270 cm Tenkara rods that pre-date the Rhoto, 8 including the Tenryū 0-27 rod. All but one of the seven others are still in production. What is true is that none of them are a multi.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby narcodog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 pm

What is the point of this information?
narcodog

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Dang, shot myself in the foot again. In public, revealing myself to be a fool with with a lousy memory, or at least a spotty memory. :oops: While I look at the afb webpage occasionally, I haven't looked at it for a long time and did not recall the 2.7m rods there.

I only recalled the long call for a shorter TUSA rod, and resistance to the idea. And I never see any of the afb model tenkara rods on Japanese tenkara webpages, though they could be there. And not everything ends up in the digital world. ( see Clifford Stoll's Silicon Snake Oil). I've never seen a 2.7m tenkara rod made by one of the major rod companies, and Tenryu though not know here looks like a major rod or tackle company. I do find a lot of tenkara rods with odd names to our ears, even ones made by Ryobi ( hey, when I see Ryobi, I think battery powered tools, and wonder where do you insert the battery).

I don't recall seeing any short tenkara rods on Japanese Tenkara web pages, that weren't home made other than the Kasiwagi tenkara rods, and they are really a design outside the box of what most here would call a tenkara rod. I have no idea where Tenryu sits in the hierarchy of rod companies. Like many others they seem to primarily make saltwater rods, then bass rods, followed by fly rods, Ayu rods, even a Snakehead rod. Whatever their reputation on quality is, the price for their tenkara rods would suggest they were premium grade rods. I think people wouldn't pay $240 for a 2.7m rod for long unless the quality was high. And that is 3 year old price.

Maybe I ought to change the thread title to Rhodo not the first $200+ 2.7 m tenkara rod.
(Since some people were unhappy it wasn't priced under 150)

Oh well. Sometimes you discover a new island, sometimes you run aground, even my old submarine managed to hit a mountain once, happy I wasn't among the crew when that happened) I try to remember a few Proverbs from the Bible.

And this favorite Japanese Proverb I learned years ago. Don't recall where I first read it.

Fall down 7, Stand up 8.

:)
D
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 pm

narcodog wrote:What is the point of this information?

Primarily historical perspective and knowledge. Secondarily to generate some activity on the forum. Geez, since Dec. on some evenings there are more internet bots on this forum than people.

I find it interesting that 7 years ago, at least two or three years before most of us ever heard of Tenkara, an established tackle company offered seven different models of tenkara rods, a pretty impressive lineup of models, one of which was a 2.7m rod. I don't think any of the big names like Daiwa, Gamakatsu, Nissin, Shimano, etc, ever offered a 2.7m tenkara rod. Not that I have ever found. It had impressive specs and the price of a high end rod. That makes that length of rod authentic tenkara in my view. Because I can find old blog entries documenting their existence years ago. And also because I occasionally find blog post just as old, predating TUSA, where guys made their own home brewed 2.7 m tenkara rods from rods usually purchased from auction web pages. Some people made their own, one company listed and made one for a time.

These other 2.7m tenkara rods, which I had forgotten existed, as far as I can tell, appeared out of the fog to jump on the tenkara train after TUSA opened and got the cars rolling down the tracks, offering among more popular lengths of rods, also 2.7 m rods, I assume in response to TUSA rejecting the idea. If they existed and made 2.7m rods before TUSA existed I've never found any evidence of it on the internet. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, only that I've never found it. They have almost zero internet presence that I can find, searching with English or Japanese names. I find the dealer pages, the dealer ebay pages, or the occasional blog review, all very recent. None 7 years old.

Now TUSA builds on that tradition, with one rod that will shrink to 2.7 m. It's traditional, even if TUSA tried to deny it for a long time. :roll:

But , this kind of silly past time will soon end. As soon as it warms up enough that our family camp wont freeze unless winterized again. I'll be heading there for long periods. No cell phone or internet connection for at least 25 miles. :)

D
dwalker

Postby dusty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:57 pm

There have been periods when my Daiwa Soyokaze 27 has been my most used rod.
dusty

Postby Adam Trahan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:48 pm

narcodog wrote:What is the point of this information?

I said that in my mind.

The Rhodo is surviving in my quiver as a favorite rod. It is not a "Swiss army knife rod" in that I'd does a lot of thing ok, it's more of a focused specialized tool for fishing tight quarters streams. Besides, when I fish the Rhodo (hard) I'm taking TJ along with me every time. He's telling me, "Adam, don't worry about breaking the rod..." And I don't.

Sweet 2.7m rod, the Rhodo is.
Adam Trahan

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Line this rod with #2.5 level line.

Go ahead and buy a spool.

You will thank Daniel.
Adam Trahan

Return to Tenkara Rods