The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

My first IWANA and Iwana better rod case...

Discussion on tenkara rods

My first IWANA and Iwana better rod case...

Postby mjhaman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 pm

I was so excited to get my first TenkaraUSA rod today! However, I remember my cousins Iwana that he showed me and I remember how nice everything was, even the green case/tube. I received mine today and was very disappointed!!! (I'm sure the rod is very nice.) The case I received was nothing more than what I would expect from a Tenkara rod put out by WalMart! Whats the deal? It is nothing more than a thin, clear plastic tube, with a cheap (thin) white material with the TenkaraUSA logo... The cloth "flap" that folds over the opening has a neoprene?(maybe) closure with a snap. (Mine also had a tear in the neoprene by the snap. Who knows how long that will hold...) This makes me say "Iwana" better IWANA case! I really liked the green one my cousin has! Even if it was nothing more that a cardboard tube, at least it looked like a quality item when he showed it to me. Now, when I go out this Saturday with my new quality TenkaraUSA rod I'll be embarrassed to pull it out of that tube!
Don't get me wrong! I love TenkaraUSA and Daniel has an amazing story and business. I will be a customer for life! I know the rod and other items I purchased are great quality. I was just hoping for a little more in the case...
What I received...
What I was expecting...
Mike H.
KB7SNQ
mjhaman

Re: My first IWANA and Iwana better rod case...

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi MJhaman,

sorry you do not like the newer design and lite weight case. While many folks like the new design that has multiple latch points to strap the tube onto their packs, others may prefer the older green design we are fading out.

Call us and we can easily resolve the issue and we are happy to send you a green case.

TJ
Tenkara USA
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby dwalker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 pm

A rather harsh first post. :shock: The issue, I assume, resolved by TJ's offer and commitment to customer satisfaction. :)

However, it does point out the need to update the pictures of the rods in the Shop section of webpage. Even on the new version 2 of the TUSA webpage, and I just checked, the pictures of the rods do indeed still show the rods with the original green rod tubes. (only the Sato is shown with the new type tube) People do expect to receive what they see on the webpage. Receiving something different rightly causing a loss of joy and unhappiness.

I've recently witnessed something similar on Amazon over compasses. They show a picture of a Cammenga 3H Lensmatic compass, the description, however, being rather vague only calling it a military issue compass, not really stating it is the real deal Cammenga compass. Then the customer received a lower quality knockoff compass made by a different company. Not happy. Or they want to order a Suunto M3G compass with the Global needle. However, the picture posted is of an older model M3 compass with the hemisphere dependent magnetic needle with a different color degree index ring from current production. Leaving off whether the M3G compass is the IN or CM version adding more confusion about what model will actually be sent if ordered. Causing uncertainty if they will be sent what they want and expect to receive.

Time to update the pictures of the rods and what comes with them in the store.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby mjhaman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 am

TJ thank you so much for the offer of a green case! I'll be calling for sure. I don't plan on doing a lot of hiking with my rod and because if that I did not think of the benefits of the slimmer, lighter, design. For that, I apologize... bwalker I reread my post and it does come off a lot harsher then intended.

For the record, I love TenkaraUSA! The customer service I have received via phone and email, (and now this forum) has been top-notch! Now that I have been enligtened as to some of the reasons to the change in cases, maybe I'll get off my lazy you-know-what and do some hiking and fishing. Hishing, Fiking, Fishking, yea, Fishking sounds good. ;)
Last edited by mjhaman on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H.
KB7SNQ
mjhaman

Postby narcodog » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 am

I'm not a personal fan of the new case myself. I don't hike and my rods stay in my truck next to the rear seat. For cyclists and hikers it is a good piece of equipment. For the rest not sure.

If I could make one suggestion is to change the color to green. The white will get so dirty through normal use and will be very hard to clean. IMO.
narcodog

Postby mjhaman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:44 am

We'll put narcodog.
Mike H.
KB7SNQ
mjhaman

Postby mjhaman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:38 pm

All is well! TJ and John at TenkaraUSA are awesome! THE best customer service I have experienced with ANY company! They sent me a green case, no questions asked! You have a customer for life!
Mike H.
KB7SNQ
mjhaman

Postby troutrageous1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Mike - Glad they did right by you.

When I got my new rods (Sato & Rhodo), I got the old tubes, but I can see how you might be dissatisfied by what you received. I'm not so keen on the white either...but at least it will show the dirt and grime of fishing adventures...

I personally don't think I ever use my rod tubes, except for maybe air travel. I do have one strapped to the frame of my bicycle...just in case.

One of the cool things about a tenkara rod is once collapsed, the rod is really it's own tube...that handle section is pretty durable. At least while on the stream or to tuck in a pack. Never really thought about it like that until reading this post, but I toss mine around (collapsed) all the time and they don't appear any worse for wear...(hope the little warranty birdie isn't reading this)
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Thank you all for the feedback on the cases.
I decided to reinvent our case and make something more practical, more useful. After all, the rod is its own case, really.
I felt like it was not very reasonable for us to ask you to carry an extra 10oz of weight when one of the main appeals of tenkara is the light-weight of the rods.
So, I decided to redo the cases, but recognized the risk in doing that. I feel like the new ones are the right direction to go, but recognize we can make improvements on them and are working at arriving at the best solution that will be light-weight, not wasteful and make you feel proud of your purchase.
As Mike said, "One of the cool things about a tenkara rod is once collapsed, the rod is really it's own tube...that handle section is pretty durable. At least while on the stream or to tuck in a pack. Never really thought about it like that until reading this post, but I toss mine around (collapsed) all the time and they don't appear any worse for wear..." AND, DO NOT WORRY MIKE, we do not mind at all, it does not affect warranty.
So, thanks for your continued feedback. Taking it all into account.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby mjhaman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Thank you for your reply Daniel! You have an amazing company with amazing staff; and the fact that YOU took the time to reply to my post is amazing as well. Now that I understand the direction you are going with the new case design, I agree that it is the right direction for 90% of your customers. IMHO, I would change and/or make a color option for the case... Green with the yellow logo or a black with gold logo, red/black etc. The point being that the white will only be white until you go fishing for the first time. Also, a handle with a loop integrated into the handle on BOTH ends would provide several options for securing your rod to a backpack, hip-pack, or mounted securely in a vehicle. Just some thoughts... By the way, this was my 2nd Tenkara outing... LOVE IT!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t35.0-12/10509320_10202884286206029_751643032_o.jpg?oh=a9c497afdd8e38cb4a15a9b1cbdabe5c&oe=53B4890E&__gda__=1404332538_d9bc471a256eaa0105b4e23c64be9a5c

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t35.0-12/10506244_10202884684255980_1749560897_o.jpg?oh=6790f7e4fbe084468aa950973c734e15&oe=53B47D7E&__gda__=1404320595_8bf867cfcbd480766e55ad62c9cfa0a5

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t35.0-12/r270/10470191_10202884715416759_402600494_o.jpg?oh=37d9ec46f670a6df46f6d95716ac930b&oe=53B48B81&__gda__=1404343104_09ef6b4e15cd3fd7990120cd4b8973f5
Mike H.
KB7SNQ
mjhaman

Return to Tenkara Rods