The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Tenkara Rod/Western Rod Equivalency Question

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Tenkara Rod/Western Rod Equivalency Question

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Thu May 29, 2014 12:29 pm

A huge part of what I do with tenkara is fish small stream here in Montana. The Sato is easily my favorite rod for that purpose. It also has the functionality of three different lengths. The Rhodo is a really cool little rod, but a little small for MT, even the "small streams" here.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Re: Tenkara Rod/Western Rod Equivalency Question

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 am

I believe a logical question to ask in this rod buying decision is: How long is the Western 2 Wt. rod that the gentleman in question is fishing?

The longest Western 2 Wt. rod I was able to find in a quick search was 10 feet, so the RHODO TUSA rod at 8' 10" / 9' 9" / and 10' 6" zoom lengths appears to be on the long side of what the Western fly rod companies are offering. ECHO offers a 6' 3" and a 7' 3" length 2 Wt. rods; GREYS offers a 10' 0" length 2 Wt. rod; ORVIS offers 6' 0" and 8' 4" length 2 Wt rods; SAGE offers a 7' 10" and 10' 0" length 2 Wt. rods; TFO offers 7' 3" and 8' 0" length 2 Wt. rods; and WINSTON offers a 7' 0" length 2 Wt. rod, which are the lengths presently available in 2 Wt. Western fly rods from all of those makers.

The main advantage that Tenkara fly fishing offers over the Western fly rods is the ability to hold your line up and off of the water to get much longer drag free drifts, and that advantage will hold true with the RHODO's shortest length as well as with its longest length. The RHODO rod is more than likely as long or longer than the Western fly rod that the angler in question is presently using, and the RHODO rod will have the added advantage for him of being able to hold his line off of the water better than he can do that with his Western 2 Wt. rod, whatever length that rod happens to be. While it is true that a longer rod allows more line to be held up and off of the water, you only need a rod that is long enough for the size of the stream, or streams, that you are fishing. So the length of his present rod should provide a good guide to what he may find most acceptable and pleasing to fish with in the beginning of his T-fishing adventure. Later, he can move on to longer rods if he so desires, after he personally experiences the advantages of T-fishing.
Karl Klavon

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods