Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Net gallery

A place to discuss tenkara nets. Techniques for making it, woods used, designs, etc.

Re: Net gallery

Postby Satoshi_Abe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 am

Those are great looking nets. Im currently working on one made out of maple, and was wondering what you use to coat the nets with once you are done. Thanks
Satoshi_Abe

Postby Eddie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:47 am

Just for your information.

I was given a net frame by a a bait angler, who is a great net builder. The net is very sophisticated.

This net can provide you with much information, I think.

The neck and the end of the handle are attached with different kind of wood for decoration.
The connection of the frame (top portion) is wrapped with a cherry bark.
The neck and the end of the handle are connected with wood shaft, and bamboo pins are used to secure the connections.
Attachments
DSCF0997.jpg
connection of frame.jpg
Wrapped with a cherry bark.
neck.jpg
Different kind of wood for decoration.
Eddie

Postby Eddie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 am

Continued:
Attachments
end.jpg
The handle end.
flip side of neck.jpg
Bamboo pins used for secure connection between the handle and the neck.
flip side of end.jpg
Bamboo pins used for secure connection.
Eddie

Postby adventureR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 am

Marine Spar Varnish is what's the easiest and most durable, getting wet and dry constantly something should be applied to the wood. It sands and refinishes easy and protects with added UV filters. The Tamo will eventually get scratched and is easy to fix with the Varnish. But really anything will work. On some woodworking projects I like bare wood then the more you handle the work the natural oil from your hands will add to the color of the wood. So really just your personnel preference is what should guide you.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby flyfaced » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

awsome tamo nets! just started a few days back forming my first tamo and its turning out fantastic. will be back with pix!
flyfaced

Postby MadBadger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:32 pm

I just bought my first Tenkara net on a recent trip to Kinni Creek Outfitters/Lodge in River Falls, WI. Kinni Creek is an authorized distributor for Tenkara USA gear and home to Tenkara Guide Matt Shipp. I spent a half day last Saturday fishing the Rush and Kinnikinnic rivers with Matt. I had a wonderful time and learned a lot more about Tenkara fishing. I also had the opportunity to pick up a beautiful TUSA labelled Tenkara net.

Since it looks like it came from TUSA, I'm wondering if Daniel or someone else on staff could identify the type of wood used for the net and possibly it's origins. I'll try to attach a picture I took of it at my fly fishing workbench.

I'd love to know the background of this net.

IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 23428 times

MadBadger
Sato, 12' Iwana & 13'6" Amago
MadBadger

Postby Mattias » Sun May 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Just wanted to see where everyone went with their nets? I haven't seen any new posts since 2013...
The pictures and stories about making nets are/were really inspiring.
Mattias

Postby adventureR » Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 pm

I agree more nets would be great added to the forum.

A nice project for learning how to make a Tamo is a mini Tamo.  I use this Kracken net to hold my rod plugs on my lanyard.  

The homemade Tamo is a great tool for a large fish.

I made a gift for honorable brother Dwalker in the form of the Willow net. 

The Willow branch is super light and strong.  I bent it by hand and varnished it.  The project was rather quick since Willow is easy to bend and carve.  I have been on the lookout for another suitable Willow branch for the next Tamo.  But I have my eye set on a Pine that is growing next to the garden gate.  So we'll see.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Previous

Return to Tenkara Nets