The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Which is the Right Rod?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Which is the Right Rod?

Postby magic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:52 pm

I am looking at getting my first Tenkara Rod...which is the best option?
I fish mostly in the foothills - Rivers like the Stanislaus, Moke, Truckee, and sometimes Fall River, Provo. Most of these rivers are probably classified as small-medium size. I am use to fishing a 10 foot nymph rod?
I was thinking of the Sato? Any feedback or comments welcome!
Magic
magic

Re: Which is the Right Rod?

Postby achilles38 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 pm

I really like my 12' Iwana for smaller sized rivers with fish in the 1-3lb range, sometimes even smaller. It casts easily and perfectly lays out flies. I use it for smaller nymphs also without a problem, even dry dropper setups. I've never used the Sato so I can't vouch for it. I have an Amago also and love it for bigger rivers or bigger fish, plus I can czech nymph with it and catch whoppers in Montana, haha.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby DavidHE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:15 pm

Where are you located? From the rivers you listed there are several of us can't be too far away. Recently I've been fishing tailwaters (nymphing) and bass ponds (nymphing). I like the Amago when I am using weighted flies or split shot. My other rods have been sitting. I'm planning to use the Sato, Ito, and possibly Rhodo on a trip this weekend. Tenkara rods have so much sensitivity compared to western fly rods (at least the ones I've fished) I think you will enjoy any one of the TUSA rods.

I fish the Stan often and the Moke isn't too far away, I'm sure an on stream demo could be arranged.
david
DavidHE

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 pm

The Sato and Iwana are almost always a great choice for someone new to tenkara. If you're going to like tenkara, you're going to like fishing those rods.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby magic » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks Everyone...I am off to Tenkara fishing...just ordered the Sato Rod! Can't wait to start fishing.
Magic
magic

Return to Tenkara Rods