Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Kayak Fishing, Let's Talk About It.

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Tenkara Kayak Fishing, Let's Talk About It.

Postby tntom » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Kayak fishing is something I love I have a Wilderness Tarpon 120, light, quiet and fast. I have 2 Tenkara USA rods I use from my yak a Yamame and a Amago they are both good rods for yak fishing and I carry them both with me when fishing. That's one great thing about Tenkara rods they take up no room. For fishing sitting low in my yak the longer Amago gives me more distance in my cast and sense I try to fish light flies the 6.4 action of the Amago works fine. I carry very little stuff even when yak fishing 1 med and 2 small fly boxes 1 spool of 4X (6 lb) tippet I know not heavier than 5X but bass snatch a fly and run quick I lost a lot of poppers till I went to 4X and haven't broke a rod tip yet and I always have a extra rod in the boat so I can keep fishing if I do. I put my fishing stuff in a plastic box I got at WalMart to keep it dry I hate fly boxes full of water. I haven't been carrying my camera for a while but if we are going to talk yak fishing I start taking it again.

One thing that is a great help is a long handle net. I use telescopic Measure net wouldn't be caught without it, makes landing a large fish much easier It may be one of the reasons I aint broke a rod tip.
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Re: Tenkara Kayak Fishing, Let's Talk About It.

Postby Softouch333 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 pm

I agree, collapsing a tenkara rod is a lot more fun than getting a western tip top caught in shoreside brush. Also agree that a boat net with a bit of a reach is essential to tenkara floating, especially from a canoe where you are a bit higher off the water.

The hook and two-point shock cord paddle holders hold a tenkara rod very securely, by the way.

I mostly fish rivers with my bow skid onto a rock or into some vegetation. Anchors are just plain dangerous on a river most the time, at least in my hands.

I have starting a little experimenting with (should I risk saying it?) dapping in the true Irish loch style. So far just using light furled lines. (Need to find some unwaxed blow line.) First time I saw a trout mouth coming up from deep at a dibbled fly it actually scared me. :o

I've looked at the Ultimate Propel for a long time as a great self-propelled fishing tool, but just can't pull the trigger.

TNTOM, I would enjoy hearing more about how you do it on still water especially. Do you ever use a drift sock?

Kevin
Softouch333

Postby tntom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Never used a drift sock on still water like a lake I try to use the wind if there is any to move me down a bank I just keep myself in fishing distance with my paddle. In a river a drag chain works well to slow a yak down but in a river I would rather use the yak to get from shoal to shoal get out and wade fish.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby adventureR » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:22 pm

My favorite way to fish Kayak/Tenkara, also from my old cheap canoe. I don't know where to go from there. So many things Kayak and Tenkara go well together. It's an experience I think anyone with a Tenkara rod would really enjoy. It's such a good way to get exercise without even realizing it. And also the lack of gear makes it extra enjoyable.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby redband » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 am

Softouch 333: try using unwaxed dental floss for a blow line. Works good for me. Haven't tried my Tenkara rod from my Tarpon 120 yet as it has only been out once this year. but after hearing from you folks, can't wait to try. the old Tarpon 120 has about 8 or 9 years of conventional bass fishing and western fly fishing on it. would like the new seat on the upgraded model, but am stuck with the old style seat. I have been looking at the Diablo ("sit, stand, paddle or pole") cause of its versatility. you can see it at diablo paddle sports dot com. I am 64 years old and am looking for more comfort while using a kayak. Probably use it this fall on Wade or Cliff Lakes or even Hebgen reservoir.
redband

Postby Softouch333 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:38 am

redband wrote:Softouch 333: try using unwaxed dental floss for a blow line. I have been looking at the Diablo ("sit, stand, paddle or pole") cause of its versatility. you can see it at diablo paddle sports dot com. I am 64 years old and am looking for more comfort while using a kayak. .

Redband, thanks for the good info. I'll try the floss. How do you knot it and what length do you use typically? Do you have a favorite dapping fly? I've read Boyle and he uses some pretty unusual flies in very big sizes. Not sure they would be great with tenkara.

The Diablo looks like a very stable platform and board type paddleing is getting pretty popular. I have demoed the Ultimate a couple times and the seat is very comfortable with legs nicely bent instead of the usual straighter kayak position. You can stand up but it doesn't look as stable as the Diablo. The forward and backward propel works very smoothly.

I think Dapping/dibbling is one more arrow in the tenkara quiver.
Softouch333

Postby adventureR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 pm

The other thing I don't believe added to this post is actually being pulled by fish. Which I think makes the fish tired quicker and allows for your tippet to shed some energy that could cause a break off. I placed this video on Vimeo from a post done a while back on Kayaks for stealth. Being a top reason to fish Kayak Tenkara. https://vimeo.com/46070054
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby itsjaywhatsup » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm

So my girlfriend and I are being given some kayaks that some friends don't want anymore. I don't know what kind yet or any specifics, but am just wondering if there's anything I should specifically learn or watch out for when using one? Are there any places with good information to read up on, some essential gear or anything like that?

I will mostly be using it on lakes for fishing, not so much white water rafting or anything like that. I have spent some time in row boats and canoes, but never a kayak. Any advice would be much appreciated, both basic information and tenkara based information.
itsjaywhatsup

Postby adventureR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

- Frustration can happen with snags and wind moving you in the Kayak. You never get forced in a direction towards your snag!
- A wise man once told me not to fight the ocean you will lose. The same is true with fresh water. Go with the flow. Try not to fight the wind either. I usually travel into the wind or against current then going back home is easier.
- The drifting up quietly and casting where you think fish will be is excellent in a Kayak using stealth. Drifting into position with a bit of momentum is also stealthy for getting close to wildlife.
- Don't lay the rod out horizontal over the water when casting make more abrupt stops and stay out of the fish's field of vision. The line will automatically be tight and easier to present fly first too.
- Sitting in the Kayak casting low on the surface of the water is more difficult fly first as opposed to standing and casting. If good technique casting is made while sitting your standing and casting will improve without you realizing it. Standing and casting seems like cheating after years fishing Kayak/Tenkara.
- Use the Kayak to adjust your casting distance.
- I don't know what type of Kayak but I like to hold my Tenkara rod with my foot while getting something or adjusting, eating lunch, etc. a way to hold your rod while not in hand is good. I often catch a fish with the fly below and rod moved w/ my foot.
- Enjoy small fish pulling your kayak around :) and big fish!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 pm

itsjaywhatsup wrote:So my girlfriend and I are being given some kayaks ..... I don't know what kind yet or any specifics, but am just wondering if there's anything I should specifically learn or watch out for when using one? Are there any places with good information to read up on, some essential gear or anything like that? ...

I can't advise about Tenkara from a kayak. I've never tried it. I only hand-line fish from my kayaks. However, I have kayaked a lot and have a few tips:

First, we need to find out what kind of kayaks you are getting. Are they SOT, sit on top, kayaks. Or SI, set inside kayaks? SI kayaks with a small cockpit or a big open cockpit? Which ever type - are they relatively wide mostly flat bottomed kayaks = stable. Or are they performance kayaks, narrow with a deep vee-bottom, meant for speed and efficient paddling = tippy = not first choice for fishing.

Secondly, but of first importance when kayaking is Safety.

You don't want to go kayaking on an 80˚ day and fall into cold water if not dressed for full immersion in cold water. And 45˚ water is dangerous. Just try holding your hand in 45˚ water for five minutes, then imagine falling in wearing shorts and a tee shirt. If the water is to cold to comfortably swim in - Be aware of hypothermia.

I would also recommend that if you will be very far from shore even after the water temperature has warmed, carry a rain jacket or something to add warmth should you get caught out in rain. Rain often brings quick a quick drop of air temperature. Getting wet in the wind can chill you quickly.

And learn how to get back into the kayak if you either capsize or simply jump in to take a swim after the water has warmed up. There is nothing to step on to push yourself back on top. You will want a bow line to grab onto should the wind start blowing the kayak away. And it can blow away faster than you can swim after it.

Respect ( fear of ) for the water is not a bad thing. Have a PFD, fancy acronym for life jacket. Probably required by local law.

" A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, he said, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again." - The Aran Islands by John Millington Synge :shock:

http://kayak-skills.kayaklakemead.com/hypothermia-definition-cause-prevention.html

You might want to get a paddle lanyard. Or make one. You don't want to drop your paddle and have it float away while playing the fish. And you will probably want a net.

And learn how to securely tie the kayak onto the top of the car. Especially if you will be driving at interstate speeds to get to the water. I prefer to also use a bow and stern line. You don't want the kayak yawing sideways or worst coming off the car and going through someone's windshield. :shock:

You will want to learn some paddling skills. Probably the best tip is don't paddle with your arms. The arms are used mostly to lift and drop the paddle from the water. Learn to paddle by twisting at the waist.

Maybe this video will convey the basic idea of the so-called paddlers box and torso rotation when paddling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGsphWWrs00

If they kayaks you get are more barge than paddling boats that is about all you need to know about paddling. If they have a slight performance shape there are many other techniques for turning that involve leaning the kayak. You can also customize them a bit by adding knee straps, if they don't have them, to make them more efficient or comfortable for paddling.

Take water to drink and a snack if you will be out for four hours or more.

Let us know what kind of kayaks they are.

fwiw,
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Next

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.