The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Weight balance and casting the Ito...

Discussion on tenkara rods

Weight balance and casting the Ito...

Postby craigthor » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Curious if the Ito has gone through any refinements as to its' weight balance and casting. I had one in fall of 2012 and it felt tip heavy and was like a different animal in each length. The Rhodo has really brought TUSA back into my sights and I will probably look at a Sato shortly. That just leaves needing a longer rod for those few and far between times. I've cast the Shimano ZE and it is a wonderful rod light in hand and fishes almost the same at both lengths so I can always go that direction again.
craigthor

Re: Weight balance and casting the Ito...

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:03 am

I have not fished a Ito until recently and while it does have a different casting motion then the shorter rods from Tenkara USA, I've personally not found it tip heavy. John and TJ did mention that it was retooled recently giving it a stiffer action. I have no way to compare it with the old action of the Ito but can say this is my personal favorite rod. However I also love fishing the Sato for smaller waters, but if there is remotely enough space, I will have my Ito in hand.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:38 am

Daniel did some tweaks to the Ito about a year ago; it's a little stiffer than the first rods in the middle/lower sections. The tips are the same. It does make the rod a little less tip heavy than before, but still a more noticeable difference in the two lengths than you'll find with the Sato or Rhodo. I notice more difference when using a stiffer Ito while playing fish than casting. It has a little more backbone.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby craigthor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:56 pm

John @ Tenkara USA wrote:Daniel did some tweaks to the Ito about a year ago; it's a little stiffer than the first rods in the middle/lower sections. The tips are the same. It does make the rod a little less tip heavy than before, but still a more noticeable difference in the two lengths than you'll find with the Sato or Rhodo. I notice more difference when using a stiffer Ito while playing fish than casting. It has a little more backbone.

Thanks!
craigthor

Postby craigthor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:32 pm

So I want to put this out there anyone have both and cast them side by side?
craigthor

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:38 am

If you mean the two Itos, I have. Pretty much just as I described. I just went outside to do it again and don't have anything got add to my earlier description, it's a little stiffer rod and a little crisper feel at both lengths. I think the difference is more noticeable at the longer length, where the stiffer rod feels a little less "noodley". For the record, I don't really mind casting either Ito at the longer length if that's the most appropriate for the situation. I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to hear from someone that wasn't a TUSA employee. :)
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby craigthor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks John, I figure few actually own both of them so I'll take whatever side to comparisons I can get.
craigthor

Return to Tenkara Rods