****The tenkara forum will now use a separate login from the rest of the site. If you are an existing forum user, you may need to confirm or possibly create a new account. We will have limited support for the forum.****

Great therapy.

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Great therapy.

Postby rvrgzr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm

This was my first "fishing" sojourn to the pond since the operation. I gave myself an hour, including the walk down and the slow walk back up to the house. I was having fun catching bluegills and small bass when this happened. All I know is I was innocently casting a chamois 'worm' about an inch and a half on a size 12 hook, when I hooked more fish than I'd planned on. Looking at the frayed tail, this is a big male that was fanning/making a nest deeper than I could see into the water. The females haven't begun laying yet, so the only thing sitting on nests are expectant, so to speak, males awaiting a visit.

By the time I got this guy unhooked and semi-revived, I was plopped on my rear with my head between my legs trying to stop the spinning. After a few minutes I focused enough to see the bass, which was staring back, right where I'd left him in a foot of water. One of us had to move, so I figured I'd stand up and if he didn't swim off, I'd wade in and do some more fish CPR. Fortunately, he streaked off in a cloud of clay and I dragged back up here.

The Yamame came through again.

rvrgzr

Re: Great therapy.

Postby wrknapp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice. I've been going out to some local ponds getting into a few fish but my bass have been 10 inchers and my sunfish half the size or less than your behemoth 'gills. I'm having fun though and your unweighted olive damsel nymph has been paying off along with a small white crystal flash bodied maraboued tail jig 3' under a small thingamabobber. I've been doing some trout fishing in the streams but spinyrays are so much fun it is hard to give them up. Nothing fights like a bluegill for it size.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Good to hear you came through, too and are back in business harrassing the local bass population.

I know it's a tough job, but SOMEBODY has to do it.

P.S. The bass was obviously wondering whether he would have to revive you, but when you stood up he realized you were OK (and he had more important things to attend to).
CM_Stewart

Postby solocanoe » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:48 pm

another fantastic feat, man. Congrats!

therapy / recovery for you, a good workout and recovery for both of you...and on to reproducing...for the bass! :)
-john
Lucky to get out. Whenever I can. Never enough. Romans 8:31
solocanoe

Postby bjanzen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Man... NICE fish. Glad the fish didn't need to come and revive you! That would have looked funny.

I was out yesterday as well. Took my 6 year old son out for a little panfish outing. We just sat down and threw his spinning outfit with some worms. I pulled out my Ayu but I was lost with it on warm water...... Maybe I can get some hints......

Barry
bjanzen

Postby jbenenson » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 am

There ain't nothin' like fishin' to cure what ails ya' (Isaac Walton, as quoted by Charles Cotton). :P
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Return to Your Tenkara Experience