The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Tenkara rods

Discussion on tenkara rods

Tenkara rods

Postby jd_smith » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I found this today, and I also found this today.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Predicament

Postby itsjaywhatsup » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:16 pm

I haven't been around this site for a while or even had any time to think about fishing as I have been so busy with work lately, but then I get the email about the black friday sale and I find that I got bit by the Tenkara bug again.

I've been waiting so long for the Ito to go on sale again, but at the same time been waiting for the new rods to come out to see if I should go in that direction. I also wanted to get my gf an Iwana at some point because when we go fishing together with the Iwana and Amago, we both want to use the lighter rod.

Now the question is, do I get the gf an Iwana for xmas so we both have lightweight options? Do I buy an Ito and give her my Iwana for xmas (kinda lame giving her my second hand rod, so I can have the nicer one), or do I get her something entirely different for xmas and wait for the new rods to come out, see if I want one, buy it and then have options for when we go fishing and I'll just own all of them?

At this point, I'm leaning towards buying her an Iwana and potentially buying one of the new rods when it comes out, I just don't want to find myself owning a bunch of rods where some might not get used as much.

Damn you TenkaraUSA, too many awesome things going on all at once!!!!
itsjaywhatsup

Re: Tenkara rods

Postby jd_smith » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Well there's a couple of ways to look at it. The Ito and the Iwana are fine rods in fact it could be argued that they are both the standard in their class. You may not have another chance to pick up a new one at the sale price again. In fact I'm almost inclined to say that once they're gone they're gone. I don't know this for sure but Daniel did say this;

"The 80-20 rule has a wide range of applications. In business we can observe 80% of sales come from 20% of products (yes, nearly 80% of our rod sales come from the 12ft Iwana, one of five models we offered until a few days ago)"

And I know that he's played with variations of the zoom rod configuration as well.

On the other hand the new rods may very well be the new standard in class. Or the new rods will possibly open up a new class altogether. That with the new rods, we'll just have to wait and see.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby itsjaywhatsup » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm definitely VERY intrigued by the new rods coming out. The reason I got into Tenkara was because of the possibility for fishing while lightweight backpacking. After hiking for miles deep into and throughout canyons and creeks in Arizona or just fishing for hours on urban waters in the city, the Amago at 3.5oz is a little tiresome and doesn't feel as nice casting. The Iwana at 2.7oz feels like it is an extension of my arm.

I'm sooooo tempted to just buy the Iwana 12' at such a good price, but I think curiosity is going to get the best of me and I'll have to wait for what the new rods will bring to the table. If they are too heavy or don't necessarily fit my style of fishing, I guess I can always hunt down a lightly used Iwana.

I guess my waiting game for the new rods to come out will continue... hopefully the patent/finalizing of the product gets done soon! I've been excited about new rods coming out since July!!!
itsjaywhatsup

Postby colorado outdoors » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:33 pm

itsjaywhatsup wrote:I'm definitely VERY intrigued by the new rods coming out. The reason I got into Tenkara was because of the possibility for fishing while lightweight backpacking. After hiking for miles deep into and throughout canyons and creeks in Arizona or just fishing for hours on urban waters in the city, the Amago at 3.5oz is a little tiresome and doesn't feel as nice casting. The Iwana at 2.7oz feels like it is an extension of my arm.

I'm sooooo tempted to just buy the Iwana 12' at such a good price, but I think curiosity is going to get the best of me and I'll have to wait for what the new rods will bring to the table. If they are too heavy or don't necessarily fit my style of fishing, I guess I can always hunt down a lightly used Iwana.

I guess my waiting game for the new rods to come out will continue... hopefully the patent/finalizing of the product gets done soon! I've been excited about new rods coming out since July!!!

I totally agree. I've combined my love of hiking with fishing and have gone 10 miles into a mountain here to get to an Alpine Lake with some food, jacket and my two Tenkara rods. Arriving at an Apline Lake THAT deep into the mountains and having not one soul around except for some Elk and Deer is just priceless.
ITO
AMAGO
12' IWANA
colorado outdoors

Postby johnnyv145 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm one of the few who have the new rods for testing. I think that you guys are going to really like them.
Don't ask for details, just be patient a little bit longer.

John
Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook
johnnyv145

Return to Tenkara Rods