The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Telescopic line cutter?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Telescopic line cutter?

Postby Mike_Malling » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:40 pm

What do you do when your tenkara line is stuck in a tree and its out of reach? You cant pull it cause the rod will break and you cant reach it because its too high to reach the line. Any ideas out there? I was thinking a telescopic small rod with a line cutter at the end.
Mike_Malling

Re: Telescopic line cutter?

Postby jd_smith » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Ouch thats a tough situation getting hung up that far up in a tree.

I have in the past used my wading staff lanyard to throw over the branch and pull it down far enough to grab the line. Of course it won't work if the branch doesn't budge, or if it's out of reach of my lanyard. BTW my staff is no wuss, home made out of hickory with a paracord grip and lanyard with a fairly heavy brass clip at the end of the lanyard. I can reach pretty high if I hold the staff by the end and heave the clip over the branch. Then I wrap the lanyard around the standing end with the clip a few times and pull. Works great and with no extra gear, double duty.

I have also climbed many trees to retrieve a fly.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Great question...

For me I normally give a few quality (but still gentle and not steelhead :twisted: ) yanks to the line from various angles. If the hook is in wood too deep, and I may no luck, but if she is stuck in a leaf, I can normally with one of my quality yanks get the hook free.

If it is a stubborn one, I would point the rod tip right at the hook and ever so gently pull back until hopefully the tippet breaks. I have done this and it has always been my tippet so far. I am not much for climbing a tree unless it is within reason. My life is more important to my wife. :twisted:

I know that my rod has a lifetime warranty also and other than the cost of shipping and handling, if the tipset breaks, well as they say, stuff happens. It is great relief knowing I can get whatever part breaks if that happens.

Tenkara rods are pretty strong so I have learned to be firm, but gentle at the same time.

To date I have not broken any Tenkara USA Rod. ;)

On a funny note... Daniel did not realize but he did invent the worlds longest exacto knife. Long story short.... Fly Fishing Show>>Customer gets line stuck in Tenkara USA space station above booth>>Daniel tapes blade to end of Tenkara USA rod>>Proceeds to cut line above head>>All humanity (well the 4 of us under the space station) was saved!

Here is the proof!

TJ
Attachments
DanielShow.jpg
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Collapse the rod, grab the line, and break the fly off. I actually just had to do that yesterday morning to get out of a snag I couldn't save. You win some, you lose some.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Jason, I agree if it's just your fly or tippet caught in the tree but the actual casting line can be very difficult to break by hand. I've had this predicament come up once before and had to cross the stream in a tough spot to get my line free. If I couldn't have done that I would have had to cut it somehow.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Ah... maybe I misunderstood the OP question. I thought it was fly and tippet stuck, not the actual line. I can't remember if that has ever happened to me, meaning the actual level or tapered line being in a tree. I would be a monkey or get some stick or something to try and get a hold of the line somehow and if you have to cut the line, so be it. TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby achilles38 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:10 pm

I always bring one of my kids along just in case :lol: Labor Day weekend in Mammoth, CA, my daughter got the size 18 parachute adams stuck, and it was the last one I had, and my kids were catching brookies like crazy with it, so...

then my daughter caught this, so always remember to bring a telescopic kid when you fish :D

Jeremy
achilles38

Postby SamEureka » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:31 pm

achilles38 wrote:so always remember to bring a telescopic kid when you fish :D

Hahaha! Nice one, Jeremy!

//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Return to Tenkara Rods