Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Stumbled onto a casting technique that works for me

Stumbled onto a casting technique that works for me

Postby Slider » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm

I was out on my second Tenkara outing and casting was okay (getting better but inconsistent). At one point I had some trees behind my cast and I was essentially trying to (or at leat I thought I was) casting the fly straight up then forward.

Not exactly sure the path of the fly but that's the best I can describe the motion - the cast went right where I wanted and the fly and line completely cast out and landed well. I did the same motion several times and for me this yields the best results.

So just sharing if anyone else new to Tenkara might want to try and may work for you. Similar to some's description of your hand/arm moving like you are driving a nail with a hammer but a little different (I think I bring my elbow up some too). I can't analyze what motion I'm actually doing but like I said I was trying to "throw" the fly straight up then out.

Hope that may help, not hinder someone else. May not work for you...
Slider

Re: Stumbled onto a casting technique that works for me

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Really good point. Daniel often describes the cast in tenkara as being closer to a western steeple cast, which it sounds like you're doing. When I've watched him cast the back cast barely goes behind him, mostly up. It's one of the way I think he gets away with fishing long lines on small streams.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Re: Stumbled onto a casting technique that works for me

Postby adventureR » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 am

Very good slider, I am horrible about discribing the cast. But this cast technique is something I often use to keep out of over hanging trees that are behind but not over me. I find there's a lot of different ways to get the line moving besides just fwd and backwards. Loading and unloading the rod in different directions can be easily be redirected with a flick of the wrist. This is one reason I'm so addicted to the cast.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to General technique