The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Iwana answer - I'm confused!

Discussion on tenkara rods

Iwana answer - I'm confused!

Postby tiptop » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 am

If you shorten a 12' Iwana to 11' with the extra handle, is it exactly the same as an 11' Iwana?? If not, how does the action and weight differ? Is the handle to shorten the 12 footer simply 12" shorter than the original handle? Or is the replacement handle longer and it replaces the original handle and the first rod section? Thanks for any insight!
tiptop

Re: Iwana answer - I'm confused!

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:36 pm

The 11' Iwana and the 12' Iwana are indeed the same rod for the first few sections down from the tip. We try to be pretty open about the fact that the lengths on are rods a approximate due largely to the nature of telescopic rods. The tighter you extend the rod the longer it will be. Also, the length of the handle doesn't directly translate into the extra length of the 12' rod. The first section out from the handle doesn't extend all the way flush with it.

I hope this answers everyone questions, but please let us know if you have more questions. I can see why it's a little confusing.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby tiptop » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:07 pm

"The first section out from the handle doesn't extend all the way flush with it."

So does this mean if the shortening handle is used, about 12" of the first section stays inside the handle to achieve the 11' length? If an 11' rod is purchased, do all the sections fully extend to make 11' or again, the first section only partially extends?

Another way to ask the question would be "Is the 11 foot rod you sell simply the 12' rod with the shortening handle on it?"
tiptop

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Yes. The 11' rod you would buy would be the same as the 12' rod with the 11' handle. Hope this is clearer.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby tiptop » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm

OK! Thanks for clearing that up. I have a 12 footer and would like to have an 11 footer so it makes the most sense just to buy the shortening handle since I'd end up with exactly the same rod if I were to buy a whole new 11 footer.
tiptop

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:53 pm

I have a 12 footer and would like to have an 11 footer so it makes the most sense just to buy the shortening handle since I'd end up with exactly the same rod if I were to buy a whole new 11 footer.

That's the reason we offer those (and also an even shorter 9ft4in handle option). Thank you.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby CraigP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 am

just remember that if you grab just the rod for a trip and leave the other shortening/lengthening handle(s) behind, to check that the rod you think you are taking on a trip is a full rod, not just one of the handles minus rest of rod which you now remember once on the river that you changed over last trip and didn't bother returning it to the original because of course you "knew" that you wouldn't forget which handle you now had the rod in the next time you went out so there was no need. :roll:
CraigP

Postby tiptop » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:57 am

CraigP wrote:just remember that if you grab just the rod for a trip and leave the other shortening/lengthening handle(s) behind, to check that the rod you think you are taking on a trip is a full rod, not just one of the handles minus rest of rod which you now remember once on the river that you changed over last trip and didn't bother returning it to the original because of course you "knew" that you wouldn't forget which handle you now had the rod in the next time you went out so there was no need. :roll:

That's in the same category as grabbing 2 right wading boots and driving an hour to the river - ask me how I know ;)
tiptop

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm really glad to see that I'm not the only one who's done that, (both with the rod and the boots). :)
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Rods