Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

This is so cool!!!!! Orvis to Sell Tenkara USA gear

Re: This is so cool!!!!! Orvis to Sell Tenkara USA gear

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:57 pm

I wonder how this will affect tenkara because I read the article and I got Orivis saying it will open the world of fly fishing to those who before couldn't handle using a fly line and fly reel. Almost talking down to tenkara anglers, like those of us who choose to fish this style cannot handle a real fly rod. I am not questioning Daniel's decisions, I mean after all it's his company. Just hope Orvis does not taint this beautiful form of fly fishing. Anyway don't want to sound negative just a bit cautious, this could end up being a great thing. I guess we will all just have to see what the future holds. I know one thing, either way I will be using my tenkara rod, just hope the price doesn't go up with Orvis on board.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Pechelman, Thank you very much for the trust! I truly appreciate that.
Indeed my biggest fear, and I think that's been clear from my "purist" views on this forum, is that the method gets forgotten or the message diluted. I'm as interested as promoting the method as good equipment for tenkara and I hope that is clear. So, the only reason I decided to sell rods to Orvis is exactly because every person I have dealt with at the organization was stoked about introducing and promoting the method with me. They didn't tell me they would promote the method, they showed it. Their interest was absolutely there. If you listen to Tom Rosenbauer's past podcasts you'll see he's a guy that would get tenkara quickly, what he really likes (keeping it simple, small streams, tradition) point to someone who enjoys tenkara and would be interested in promoting it as it is.
When we did our podcast together, and I did it in person, there is absolutely no restraints on what to say or what to cover AT ALL. They want to promote the method, it is new and it is exciting. His interest even extended to people at the retail. At the fly fishing shows I talked to the front-line guys who were coming to me and asking questions and showing a real interest in tenkara.
I had folks from another major company that is now planning on releasing a tenkara rod. They talked to us with a real disrespect and ignorance for tenkara and even scoffed at it. Heck, one even told me it was a fad and now they are planning to release a tenkara rod.
It's real nice to have a giant with us who is going to promote traditional tenkara and philosophy to ward off the other giant that wants to make a buck from selling some rods.

Going on a tangent there. But, in any case. I appreciate your trust and I will strive to keep that.
(by the way, the podcast is not online yet, it will be up soon I hope).

narcodog, no idea what they do with dealers...we'll maintain ownership of our products and product lineup and future dealer relationships.

Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate hearing them in either direction.
Still here, still passionate, still a tenkara angler
-Daniel

btw, used the Vagabox today. Will write about it tomorrow, but caught a lot of fish. Very good experience that has to be written about when I get a chance.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm

That's all I need to hear! Mahalo Daniel.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby Pieguy56 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:03 pm

HwnstyleBC wrote:I wonder how this will affect tenkara because I read the article and I got Orivis saying it will open the world of fly fishing to those who before couldn't handle using a fly line and fly reel. Almost talking down to tenkara anglers, like those of us who choose to fish this style cannot handle a real fly rod. I am not questioning Daniel's decisions, I mean after all it's his company. Just hope Orvis does not taint this beautiful form of fly fishing. Anyway don't want to sound negative just a bit cautious, this could end up being a great thing. I guess we will all just have to see what the future holds. I know one thing, either way I will be using my tenkara rod, just hope the price doesn't go up with Orvis on board.

If it wasn't for Tenkara I wouldn't be fly fishing. I'm not patient (or rich) enough to learn "traditional" fly fishing. The initial cost and simplicity of Tenkara is what drew me in.

I'm sure there are people out there that will go into a Orvis store and decide that they either try Tenkara or walk out with nothing.

I think this is a win/win situation for TUSA, the Tenkara fishing community, and traditional flyfishermen. One day I think we will all look back and say "I was Tenkara fishing in the US when it was just beginning".

I applaud Daniel on his forward thinking.
Pieguy56

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:51 pm

I have a long history with Orvis. When I was a teenager, I used to read the Orvis catalog more religiously than I ever read the Bible. I perused its pages, studying every fly, every tip, every detail of every rod. I drooled over the taper between the blank and top of the grip on the handles of their Superfine rods (that just looked so elegant). And with their cocobolo reel seats, they were gorgeous rods. But on a teenage allowance, I could only dream of owning one.

We had a local Orvis dealer (The Orvis Shop) and I used to make a pilgrimage there every chance I got. I would spend as much time as I could checking out gear, flipping through books, talking to other customers, and picking the brains of the people who worked there. If it were a bar, I probably would have been thrown out for harassment and overstaying my welcome.

Much to my surprise, they hired me to work there a few years later. The owner was Bill Reed, an accomplished angler in just about every type of fly fishing. He taught me so much about casting, fly tying, and entomology. Bill basically taught me everything I know about fly fishing for everything from wily rainbows in spring creeks to bruiser permit on the flats.

My experience with Orvis as a company was very positive. I thought they supported us as a dealer well and the people in the company were very personable. If we had a problem or question, you could call them up and ask for someone by their first name and they'd actually know who you were. Policy wise, they really supported us with broken rods and leaky waders, even when it was clearly the customer's fault. Overall, I can't remember anything negative.

Fast forward to the present and now I'm working again with Orvis but as a tenkara angler. I never would have imagined that! What's more is that my former boss, Bill, now works at Orvis again so there's the possibility I might be working with him as well. Funny how things work out. Maybe it's karma.

Personally, I'm glad Orvis was the first major company to embrace tenkara because they really do respect the tradition. And business-wise, they respect Daniel's expertise and brand enough to not just take Tenkara USA rods and slap an Orvis label on them to steal the glory. I think that's pretty cool. :)
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

:D

When I called to finalize my trip to Bozeman in Aug.. the guys excitedly told me they would be selling Tenkara rods at the Fin And Feathers Orvis shop... I guess this year I'll be ribbing Toby insted of him good naturdly commenting about my Tenkara Rod... I was so happy I bought another rod and they will have it at the shop when i arrive. LOL
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Stan,
Thanks for planting the seed with Fins and Feathers. They are super psyched about them and can't keep them in stock!
Just had dinner with Toby actually and he was talking about how you have come every year and had a great time with tenkara with him handling the drift boat. I think you really are the one that sold him on it.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby LeGrand » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:28 am

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:... Please listen to the podcast I did with Tom Rosenbauer and you will see that...

Congrats Daniel. Informed our local ORVIS Ottawa, ON Canada store, to see when they will be holding your products. Upon their response, I will be contacting many of whom were always asking me where they could purchase Tenkara USA in Ontario or even Quebec Provinces. One of the salesperson there (a fishing friend and member of the Ottawa Flyfishers Society) owns a Tenkara rod himself, so he will know how to teach potential clients of its benefits for certain situation).

As for the Pod-Cast, guess my ORVIS APPs on my IPhone 4S is not yet up to date, more recent one being for July 6th.

Will be checking.

Do see that the OrvisNews.com of July 11th, has a title "Orvis Embraces Budding Tenkara Movement".
LeGrand

Postby Loften » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:41 am

That is pretty cool that Orvis is now selling Tenkara rods. I was wondering if they were going to sell individual rods (not the kit) and other rods besides the Iwana? thanks
Loften

Orvis worldwiide?

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am

Just wondering if the Orvis are just limiting sales to the US? No sign of the tenkara rod on the UK website?
Simon.A.Hayes

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements from Tenkara USA