Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Lightweight Wet Wading

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Re: Lightweight Wet Wading

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 am

Anthony, It is not that I prefer the older boot over the newer one at all. It is just that boots with the studs in pose a safety risk in what is for me a lot of low grade to fairly vertical rock climbing conditions in getting into and back out of the lakes and streams that I fish. High country streams are, for the most part, scum free streams. My L2s came with a stud kit also, which I have never used. We have plenty of streams and rivers that the studs could and would be a lifesaver for you here in California, but I do not usually fish at those low of elevations. If you are primarily a backpacking angler, fishing clean stream bottoms, why pay for a stud kit you will never use? For the price difference available at The Fly Shop, the River Walkers are a good deal and a great boot for the money.

I was never dissatisfied with L.L.Beans boots at all; I loved them. The river Treads tore on the instep, when the D-ring and rivet got caught, jammed between two rocks and being held in place by H20 pressure, and my attempts at repairing the boot made the tear worse, but they were still usable. The West Branch boots were nylon in stead of being the synthetic leather, and lasted the longest. With the West Branch boots, it was a separation of the glued sole that did one boot in. So I fished with a River Tread on my left foot and a West Branch boot on my right foot until I got the L2s at my wife's demand because she was a palled at my lack of fashion concern. I didn't care. Who was going to see me where I fish? And it allowed me to test and compare one boot against the other. And, traction wise, they were each others equal.

I went to the L2s because they had the AS sole also, but in addition to being glued together, they were also sewed together through the sole and could not separate the way the West Branch boot did. With the Simms it was the uppers that eventually developed worn through holes big enough to let pretty good sized rocks and dirt to enter the boots, which became just too uncomfortable to continue the fight with the L2s. If any of you fish where you regularly need studs, that is the only way to go. But I do not feel studs are needed or prudent for backpacking....Karl.
Karl Klavon

Re: Lightweight Wet Wading

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:34 am

I hear you about scrambling over large smooth stream side boulders with studded soles - probably not the best thing. Especially with the larger studs that some boots have.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Previous

Return to Backpacking & Cooking