Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Frito Pie

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Frito Pie

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:39 pm

:D Frito Pie

I've also heard it called Frito Chili Pie ( FCP )

Growing up in East Texas in the 50s and 60s, it was always
a treat to stop by the DQ on a cold winter afternoon and get
a Frito Pie. Total cost... 15 cents. A large RC Cola was 5 cents.
(a burger... 10 cents) :shock:

First get a single serving size bag of Fritos Corn Chips.
You can crush the chips or leave them whole... your choice.
Using scissors, cut along one side of the bag from top to bottom.
Now you have a disposable "bowl" filled with corn chips.
Time to add chili, chopped onions, grated cheese,
sweet relish, and catsup. (some people prefer mustard)

Yea, you can make it in a big glass baking dish at home in the oven,
but the real fun is everyone making their own and sitting around a camp fire.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Re: Frito Pie

Postby Daver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

In a lot of the Mexican border towns (and expanding all over Mexico and the SouthWest USA) they sell a walk-away food known as "Tostilocos". Same idea as Frito Pie.

A bag of Tostitos slit lengthwise with all kinds of toppings, hot sauce and a squeeze of lime juice is the basic idea.

I'll make it at home or setup a Tostilocos bar for parties. I like to have peanuts, cucumbers, mango sprinkled with Tajin (A chili powder for fruit. Totally addictive once you get a taste for it.), cueritos and pickled red onions. I'll squirt on some sour Japanese plum paste, lime juice and different Mexican hot sauces.

You can do a seafood version (shrimp, squid, octopus, snapper. etc.) and pour some Clamato over it.

It's tasty stuff but, OMG!, it's a salt bomb like no other.
Daver

Re: Frito Pie

Postby dwalker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Stan, when I saw your recipe it reminded me of two types of food.

1) Walking tacos that my wife serves kids in the church youth group. Open the bag of corn chips, toss in all the things you usually put on tacos. Eat it out of the bag with a plastic fork

2) Prisoner food. A couple of years ago I found a web page advocating several type of recipes for backpacking that had been created by prisoners. Stuff they could make in their cells from items they could get in the prison commissary. Usually centered around various kinds of corn chips, ramen noodles, meat sticks and cheese sticks. Plus what ever else they could obtain.

A similar recipe from the CBC, Cell Block Cafe. Frito Chili PIe
http://www.friendsbeyondthewall.com/cbc/recipe002_fritochili.html

Slide 4 on this page has a recipe for Bomb Chino Burrito
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/20/prison-food-cooking-jailh_n_652829.html#s111389&title=Bomb_Chino_burrito

Bernie Madoff's Mob boss prison mate has created spaghetti and clam sauce in slide 1 and Martha Steward chimes in with cell block crab apple jelly. Jailhouse Tamales made from Fritos and spicy Cheetos are on another slide.

Sadly I can't find the backpacking web site where I first found the prisoner cusine recipes. :(
I tried a few of them. Some where quite good and others terrible or at least they were terrible in the kitchen. Maybe they would taste better when cold and hungry in the woods sitting by the camp fire. :roll:

:)

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to Backpacking & Cooking