Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Can't get my penny stove to function properly.

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Can't get my penny stove to function properly.

Postby JDP1292 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Hey all, just built my first penny stove.. the jets work great, and no leaks in the seal between the cup and burner, but i keep having flames pop up from under the penny a bit and seems to really ruin fuel efficiency.

I tried this with a penny, nickel, and quarter, and it happened with each one and I can't figure out why... I can't seem to get a good seal.

tips???

Edit: Roughed up the bottom a bit with the penny and its holding water on top this time.... i'll test it quick here.

EDIT 2: I've tried pennies, nickels, and quarters, but I'm still getting a "leaker" flame around the coin, and I don't know why. It holds water in the top indefinitely, but not the fuel itself... I don't know if this cuz the service I'm testing it on isn't level, or what. I rubbed the penny around to roughen up the burner, and yet it still happens.
Attachments
008.JPG
JDP1292

Re: Can't get my penny stove to function properly.

Postby jdchaussee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 am

I've made a lot of penny stoves over the years and I have never made one that didn't have a bit of flame coming from under the penny. It shouldn't effect the efficiency of the stove too much because the heat from the "runaway" flame is still being used to heat your pot or whatever. Water is more dense then gas, and it's the gas vapor that is burning, not the liquid so the stove may be able to hold water in the top, but gas will still be able to escape. There have been many occations where I've lost the penny during a backpacking trip and I just used the stove without the penny and was still able to boil my water in about the same amount of time.
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby JDP1292 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 am

hmm okay thanks for that, that's reassuring.

EDIT: Made a new one, took my time on this one, works alot better... flames don't pop up from under the penny nearly as much. They still do, but not as often.

Without a simmer ring, burned for about 15 minutes with around 1.5 oz of fuel... I didn't measure it, that was an approximate.

EDIT 2: added 2 pictures of it.
Attachments
2012-10-17 20.48.29.jpg
2012-10-17 21.04.10.jpg
JDP1292

Postby jdchaussee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm

That looks good! Another thing you might try is making more burner holes. By making more holes for the gas to escape it will decrease the amount of pressure and gas build up under the penny (think physics: the gas will look for the path of least resistance). That's a good burn pattern you have going though so if youre satisfied, no need to change anything! :-) Penny stoves are like tenkara rods though: you can never have just one! :-P
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**
jdchaussee

Postby JDP1292 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:15 pm

A tip- did some more reading and JB welded the seam between the burner and the cup. This completely eliminated any flames from coming up from under the penny, and noticed it primed and fully lit alot quicker and more efficiently..

definitely recommend doing this.
JDP1292

Postby Karl Klavon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:05 pm

It sounds like you have solved your problems; the JB Weld joint seal is really the right way to go for sure. Another thing to try is to sand off the small raised stamped numbers they are now putting in the bottoms of the aluminum cans that will hold the penny up and keep it from making a tight seal. You can remove them by moving the penny repeatedly back and forth until they are gone, but sandpaper is faster and easier. You may want to polish it off with crocus cloth or fine steel wool to get rid of the sandpaper scratches.
Karl Klavon

Return to Backpacking & Cooking