Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Eating Something New

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Eating Something New

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:11 am

:D
I've had people say that I'm easy to cook for... because I'll eat just about anything you put in front of me.
And enjoy eating it. I'll even eat some things I don't really care for if I'm really hungry... and nothing else is available.

I took a kayaking class at U of Hawaii where a whole class was devoted to food. When it comes to camping, food is a major part of the experience. Like Audry Southerland says in her book "Paddling My Own Canoe", "If you don't like gourmet cooking, your in the wrong class."

Well, usually we plan our meals out pretty good, but recently my daughter prepared the evening meal... and it was... well... filling?!?. I think in the future though, we will "Test Cook" all meals BEFORE we add them to the camp menu. :roll:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Re: Eating Something New

Postby adventureR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 am

Hot Sauce! I prefer http://peppers.com/cube/Hot-Sauces/Yuca ... _4319.html Yucatan Sunshine Prepared Habañero Pepper Sauce. It's hot but has a nice flavor. If there's one thing I know and have heard here as well Hot Sauce makes everything taste better.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby chorpie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:31 am

ghost chilies!
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby doliver » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Stan:
It is interesting how some people think that camping and cooking go together. My kayaking group looks on cooking as an unfortunate consequence of living in a tent and everyone pretty much has worked out a week long diet that centers around boiling water and adding it to a bag full or dried food. Other groups I camp with love cooking and seem to compete for the most complex meal. To each there own.

Now about hot sauces. Please take all those vinegar based bottled sauces and toss them. By the time you get it hot enough, the vinegar is overwhelming. My favorite is Korean Pepper paste (http://www.kimchibulgogi.com/ingredient ... gochujang/). That can even cover up my cookings!

David
doliver

Postby tejplunkett » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:07 pm

You guys CRACK ME UP! I consider food a necessary evil when Im camping, have to do it (eat) but want to hike a fish all I can! yes?
tejplunkett

Postby tejplunkett » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Stan Wright wrote::D
I've had people say that I'm easy to cook for... because I'll eat just about anything you put in front of me.
And enjoy eating it. I'll even eat some things I don't really care for if I'm really hungry... and nothing else is available.

I took a kayaking class at U of Hawaii where a whole class was devoted to food. When it comes to camping, food is a major part of the experience. Like Audry Southerland says in her book "Paddling My Own Canoe", "If you don't like gourmet cooking, your in the wrong class."

Well, usually we plan our meals out pretty good, but recently my daughter prepared the evening meal... and it was... well... filling?!?. I think in the future though, we will "Test Cook" all meals BEFORE we add them to the camp menu. :roll:
BTY: Stan, you never did say what she prepared?
tejplunkett

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldn't remember what it was so I ask my daughter... she couldn't remember it either.
That tell you anything about how "good" it was?
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby albertyi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Stan Wright wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldn't remember what it was so I ask my daughter... she couldn't remember it either.
That tell you anything about how "good" it was?

On the flipside, that ought to tell you it wasn't so bad ;)

- Albert
albertyi

Return to Backpacking & Cooking