Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What's the bare min for 2-3 day backpacking/tenkara trips?

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Re: What's the bare min for 2-3 day backpacking/tenkara trip

Postby Kuhlow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:01 am

I know this might sound silly but the most important thing to bring with you is common sense and a thorough knowledge of the terrain you will be traveling through as well as knowledge of all the gear you decide to bring with you and it's limitations (and your own limitations as well). It's not enough to know you have a compass with you....you need to be able to use it expertly. Knowing how to use everything in your first aid kit or knowing the temperature rating of your sleeping bag etc. can not be overstated. Bringing as much knowledge with you as possible will hopefully remove some variables that can turn a slight problem into a serious one. Have fun but be safe.
Kuhlow

Postby chorpie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Jeremy,

There is usually a warm week in the Fall in CA. Otherwise you might want to wait until Spring. If you know that the temperature is going to be moderate, you can get away with an appropriate pack, a sleeping bag and pad, a first aid kit (a definite MUST, and not expensive at all) and something to cook food/boil (and purify, if you don't want to wait to boil) water with.

You don't need the latest and greatest Nalgene bottle, you can use empty water/Gatorade bottles. You don't need an ultralight pot, you can grab a small one from your kitchen. Same for fork, knife, spoon. $5 gets you a sleeping pad, you most likely have a sleeping bag and warm clothing. If it's nice out and there aren't a ton of bugs or mosquitoes out, you don't even need a tent. All of my trips with my friends during high school were sans tent.

A lot of the stuff that people have who have been backpacking for a while has been accumulated over time, not all at once. It would be wallet-exploding if you tried to do it all at once :)

Kuhlow makes very good points as well, safety is priority number one.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby chorpie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:33 pm

In case you see this before they sell out, this is a decent deal:
http://www.woot.com/offers/adventure-ca ... 24-ounce-3

$12
Yong
chorpie

Postby statikpunk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:08 am

backpacking is all about what your comfortable going "without" I cant tell you how many overnighters I went on as a kid with little more than a blanket rolled up and slung over my shoulder. :) I cant get away with that now :lol: and prefer the comfort of my camper when I can swing it.

check outhttp://www.bushcraftusa.com its a great forum that emphasizes on the the skills to "live" outdoors and not just view it from the safety of a hundred pounds of backpacking gear. just like with Tenkara, the more you know the less you need to carry.
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby chorpie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 am

statikpunk wrote:check outhttp://www.bushcraftusa.com its a great forum that emphasizes on the the skills to "live" outdoors and not just view it from the safety of a hundred pounds of backpacking gear. just like with Tenkara, the more you know the less you need to carry.

That's an awesome forum for info. Also... keep in mind that the less you need to carry doesn't always equate to you carrying less :D

I'm pretty horrible about overpacking.
Yong
chorpie

Postby statikpunk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:06 pm

chorpie wrote:
statikpunk wrote:check outhttp://www.bushcraftusa.com its a great forum that emphasizes on the the skills to "live" outdoors and not just view it from the safety of a hundred pounds of backpacking gear. just like with Tenkara, the more you know the less you need to carry.

That's an awesome forum for info. Also... keep in mind that the less you need to carry doesn't always equate to you carrying less :D

I'm pretty horrible about overpacking.

hah! me too :) it seems the less camping equipment I carry ends up just making more room for toys! :)
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby GregB » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 am

I just went for a little overnight trip last weekend up here in the Sierras just a bit downhill from Donner pass. I made a little (ok, 30 minute) video of my trip.

At the very beginning I talk about how I'm changing my backpacking gear form the traditional tent/sleeping pad/sleeping bag/stove/cooking pots to a more ultralight setup. Slowly I'm moving towards ultralight and I find I'm vastly more comfortable.

Also, about 27 minutes in I talk about how well those choices worked out.

It may help point out some of the gear choices that are available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvEWpZZ3bQE
GregB

Postby jdchaussee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm

backpackinglight.com

read it. learn it. love it. :-)
-Justin C
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Tenkaraholic since 2009
Proud owner of:
Amago, Yamame, Ito
**Instagram: Tenkaraholic**