Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Where is the passion?

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Re: Where is the passion?

Postby Charlie P. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Late coming in here, but I don't see any label on my TenkaraUSA rod that says "Not to be used with live bait". A grasshopper or red worm and a #14 hook would be killer for most panfish I can think of. Add a quill bobber and it is Fish 101. A few flies and you have trout (and brown garden hackle has taken many, many delicious brook trout in my early history).

My first rod had no reel and I caught perch enough to make meals.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
Charlie P.

Postby adventureR » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am

This thread has taken a diversion, I'm just adding to it's turn. :x

Hey Charlie, here's a link to something about bait, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1479 sure it works. The "one fly" thing AGAIN too. :o But tricking the fish with one of my crudely tied flies is just another way I enjoy Tenkara or Telescoping pole fishing. If you want to use bait that's fine with me, and very effective too. I'm sure others have tried it but feel it should never be spoken of. :roll:
(Imagine an ancient Tenkara fisherman with a poor tasting meal his wife packed. He thinks maybe the fish would like this better. And who's to say this exact scenario never happened. At some point someone has put bait on a Tenkara rig. Seppuku hopefully wont result from playing with your nontraditional fishing. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku
Anyway what I've found is after changing bait or replacing it constantly it's more enjoyable to just use a durable fly. And a bobber works but interrupts the cast which I find addictive & fun. The bobber also takes away from the feel I get with a tight line and my index finger touching the carbon just above my handle. Just my observations thus far. Occasionally I'll get some minnows for fishing with the nephews every now and then one has ended up on a telescoping rod.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby bpfrocket » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 am

Tenkara is one of the simplest ways to fish successfully.

BUT

It's just like anything else, once you get a group of passionate, knowledgeable ( or not ), people together in a large group; the complexity, details and arguments grow even faster.
Tenkara can be as simple as tying a fly on a line and flinging it into a body of water and hoping there's a fish in there or as complicated as earning a doctorate in astrophysics - it all depends on what you want from it.

Decades ago when I was looking for my first motorcycle I read lots of articles and opinions. Some said that a 450cc bike was all that you'd ever need for average riding and that a 650cc was fine for touring. Others said a 1000cc was the minimum size for any beginner (I'm not kidding) and that you should move up to a larger bike as quickly as possible. They were right - for them, but not for everyone. It's the same on this or any other forum; people are passionate about what works for them and convinced they are right. They are right - for them.

Learn from everyone, take what works for you and throw away the rest. This is fishing, there are no tests to pass, no certifications to earn.
bpfrocket

Previous

Return to Backpacking & Cooking