Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Yerba mate ??

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Yerba mate ??

Postby Aaron Proffitt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 am

Keep hearing about it, believe I saw Daniel make a reference to it.... I have a rough idea of what it is.

But how would you describe it flavor wise and ease of prep ? Especially when out in the bush ?
Aaron Proffitt

Re: Yerba mate ??

Postby chorpie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 pm

prep is easy. stick in boiling/hot water. it's very earthy in flavor. leaves sort of a dry feeling in your mouth when drinking it. you can always try it out using the bagged versions that Guayaki makes. single serving tea-bags.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby Aaron Proffitt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:39 am

Nice !! Thanks..
Aaron Proffitt

Postby chorpie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 pm

No problem :) It's going to be a hit or miss. I didn't really love it the first time I had it, the smell was nice, but the taste was strange to me. It grew on me though. Yerba Mate Lattes are pretty good also.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Aaron,
IMO, if you can find it, loose leaf and using a bombija (metal straw with a sieve) are totally the way to go. I really find the flavor between loose leaf and the bags quite different. With that being said, the bag will give you a taste of what it is like and is much easier to find nowadays.

It's super easy to prepare, and this is another reason I prefer the loose-leaf. Just put some mate in a cup (say 1/4 - 1/3 cup of mate) and fill it up with hot water. Drink. Fill up, drink. Fill up, drink. When the flavor goes out, which depends on how much you put in, you can replace the mate. In the backcountry, when you're done, just throw out the tea (compostable), and there is no need to deal with the bag.

Like Chorpie said, it's hit of miss for some people, but I think it easily grows on people. It's easy to control how bitter you want it by having more mate in the cup, or letting the water sit longer
Flavor-wise, one of the most overlooked things is the kind of sweet aftertaste from it. Most people focus on the somewhat bitter flavor when you first sip it, but the taste is best at the end of the sip. It's a very grassy flavor but very hard to describe beyond that.
One of my favorite things about it, from a "caffeine" standpoint is the type of easy high-energy and high-functioning state of mind I get from it. I drink lots of different types of caffeine, several times a day, and mate is my favorite for getting me to work well.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby zackz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 am

I ordered some online a while back (a few years!) really enjoyed it, I had a traditional and a mint and both were great but never reordered more.
This post made me jump over to Amazon but there are a ton of choices!
Where are you guys getting your Mate from?
-Zack
TenkaraFishingForum.com
zackz

Return to Backpacking & Cooking