Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tent fly and floor sealer

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Tent fly and floor sealer

Postby Anthony » Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 am

Any one have any suggestions for a tent floor and fly sealer? I have a tent that's about 14 years old and the floor and fly have gotten to the point where they could use a re-application of some sealing product.

Any recommendations of products that you've used and like would be appreciated.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Re: Tent fly and floor sealer

Postby sbrown77 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 am

Im not sure if you mean sealing holes in the floor or just a reapplication of the DWR water repellency. Either way use shoe goo for repairing holes, same ingredients as aqua seal, 1/4 of the price.

For reapplying the DWR finish I like Nikwax, they make "Tent and Gear Solarproof" for waterproofing your gear that I've used and been pleased. I've also used the TX.Direct spray on they make for gortex on my backpacks and other gear and have been pleased with the results.

Just remember, the same reason you wouldn't wax a dirty car without washing it first, DONT waterproof your gear without washing it first! This will make a huge difference. You could spend the $$ for the special "tech wash" although I think that stuff is more important when your washing breathable gortex and delicate textiles. Some warm soapy water should do the trick for a tent and fly. Cheers and stay dry! :)
sbrown77

Postby Anthony » Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 am

sbrown77 - Specifically just an overall recoat - no holes. I'll look into the stuff you mention - thanks for the info.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby dwalker » Wed May 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to Backpacking & Cooking