Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Cold Water Warm Day Lucky to Be Alive

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Cold Water Warm Day Lucky to Be Alive

Postby dwalker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:26 am

Not sure if there is a better place to post this message. However, Backpacking implies being out in nature and Tenkara fishing means being near or on the water. And many people who post on this forum talk about combining Tenkara fishing and being on some type of boat. A kayak or canoe or other type of boat.

Arson who post on this forum and also on another forum I read hammockforums.net has today posted a video telling a cautionary tale about how he and a friend recently nearly lost their lives after their boat swamped following a sudden increase of wind on the water.

I know he is doing a lot of soul searching but he has found the will to tell his story so that others might take more seriously the dangers of cold water, 40-degrees, on warm air days. I am glad he mentioned the phenomena of involuntary inhalation in cold water. I have been kayaking for about a decade and I have read stories about guys who kayak often in winter conditions. Who are dressed in dry suits and who go out and practice rolling their kayaks in very cold water. Have done it years with no problem. Then one day they roll their kayak and their head hits the cold water and they have this involuntary inhalation happen. Suddenly the familiar activity transforms in to something much different.

Arson. I hope you don't mind me posting this link to your recent experience.

Close to Dead - 23 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmBHcO6slpI&feature=channel

Please be careful around cold water.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: Cold Water Warm Day Lucky to Be Alive

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Watched this the other day. Glad all worked out in the end. Captivating video for sure.

Been a while since we have seen Arson post here, or at least I have not seen any posts lately.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Cold Water Warm Day Lucky to Be Alive

Postby rsetina » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm

I watched it too and didn't know what to say, other than I happy things worked out and Arson and his buddy came out of it relatively unscathed. It reminded me of the show.... I shouldn't be alive. His real life story could easily be an episode on that show.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Backpacking & Cooking