Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Burgess Falls State Park TN

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Burgess Falls State Park TN

Postby adventureR » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 pm

Went out to Burgess Falls State Park TN. last weekend. Didn't catch any fish but really enjoyed the scenery. My plan was to hike down below the falls into the stream and fish around all the boulders. The mist from the big falls made everything mud and ice. I plan to return when the weather is just right. I love how the Tenkara gear is so light I couldn't even tell I was carring it. Tenkara is the best thing to happen to backpacking & hiking for fishermen & women ever.
I must say you don't really think about all the beauty around us in nature till you haven't gone hiking in a while. There's no better foot hold then those old trail roots. A great short hike hope you all enjoy the pics.

If your ever going down Interstate 40 in TN. Burgess Falls is a great spot to get out and stretch your legs. And maybe catch a fish too.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Re: Burgess Falls State Park TN

Postby Loften » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 pm

beautiful spot. too bad you didn't catch any fish, but it still looked pretty great. did you take waders and wade any or just fished from the bank?
Loften

Postby adventureR » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:04 am

No wading gear, did a little rock hopping and traveled super light. Maybe the next time I make it to the park I'll complete my mission. One of these days, soon hopefully. It would be nice to add a pic of a fish with the backdrop of the waterfall.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Karl Klavon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:57 pm

LL Bean's current River Tread Wading Boots have the BOA-Closure system, and come with the Five-Ten octagonal lug design Aqua Stealth sole, in plain form or studded, at an additional cost of course.

Bean's Gray Gost Wading Boot model is the ultralight weight model, again available with either the studded sole or the plain octagonal Aqua Stealth sole. This boot has a minimum of seams, pieces and details to make them easier to clean away aquatic hitchhikers.

Bean's West Branch Wading Boots are only available with out studs and it has the round lug pattern Aqua Stealth soles. As far as I know these 3 wading boots are the only wading boots currently on the market with the Five-Ten Aqua Stealth soles. LL Bean was the first wading boot company to offer the Five-Ten Aqua Stealth Sticky Rubber soles so Five-Ten decided to stick with LL Bean and they quit offering their Aqua Stealth soles to the other wading boot makers. Consequently everyone else has gone over to using the Vibram, not as sticky as the Aqua Stealth Sticky Rubber Soles are sticky, rubber sole or its cheaper foreign imitators.

Sorry, I put this on the wring thread and I could not cancel it. Sorry - Karl.
Karl Klavon

Postby adventureR » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Finally made it back to the falls for some hiking and nephew fishing. Caught a few small fish and ran into a Copperhead waiting for someone to step close enough for a taste. The falls were beautiful today, they produced a wonderful mist that cooled us on our hike down to the stream full of our finned friends.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Darrin Terry » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 pm

adventureR, those pics of the falls are stunning. I also did the copperhead pic. Those can be a beautiful snake, especially in pics or from a distance. :shock:
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:00 pm

The falls are so nice to visit for a quick hike. I really enjoy the sound of the running water and scenery at that park. The Copperhead was looking a little like it was time for a moult. Supposidly they are quite cranky during the moult. He was striking at the slightest movement. I was quite cautious after seeing him. Noticed several more snakes after that one, made my ankles feel pretty naked.

For some reason this last few additions to my thread haven't ended up on the active topics section of the forum. Then I searched through the Board Index and found a bunch of posts that escaped my eye. I guess it's a hiccup.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:21 pm

These two where oblivious to our presence, attacking Crayfish that bolted close enough to the warm rock/platform of death.
Very pretty and deadly snakes.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Thomas_Goggans » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Very nice spot!
I live in east TN, but I've never been there. I do love stream fishing though, even when there's nothing to catch but warm water fish.

A bit of good news for you and your ankles, the two snakes in that last picture were harmless Common Banded Watersnakes. Coloration on them in this region is almost identical to Copperheads, but their patterning is different, body profile is much narrower and longer proportionally, and their heads are slim and rounded. They also lack both Lenticular irises, and pits, or "heat nostrils." But most people don't want to get close enough to check those two details :)
Thomas_Goggans

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 pm

The falls are a nice short hike. Perfect hike for rod line and flies. In the extreme heat and humidity of summer the hike next to the falls throws a wonderful cooling effect as you find your way. The snakes were really small. Hard to tell if they were poisonous, I wouldn't disturb them either way. I enjoyed seeing them. They were deadly to the minnows and crayfish they were ambushing. I think you should give this hike a try Thomas, very simple beautiful place.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Next

Return to Backpacking & Cooking