Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

How do backpacking laws work in your state?

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

How do backpacking laws work in your state?

Postby JDP1292 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:35 pm

so I was under the impression I could backpack and camp anywhere in Wisconsin's public lands, but when I contacted the DNR to see, turns out you can only do it in certain state forests, and none of them are near trout streams really.

So how does backpacking and camping work in your state? Im trying to understand Wisconsin's laws better, but was curious what other states were like. It would seem like most states you can just camp wherever you are pretty much.
JDP1292

Re: How do backpacking laws work in your state?

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:45 pm

:o
Just go ahead and camp... if anyone says anything, tell them your homeless.
Guarantee they'll leave you alone.
:twisted:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby JDP1292 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Yea I'm thinking I might as it's so remote and I doubt I'd see a DNR agent.. Just do it covert style. Plus none of the places you can legally backpack and camp have trout streams
JDP1292

Postby GregM » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Also look into camping on "national forest" and "bureau of land management" land.
GregM

Postby JDP1292 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:06 am

I looked into those and wisconsin only has 2 major ones, neither of which are within reasonable driving distance for a weekend and don't have alot of trout streams..

I'm trying to find regulations about public land to see if I can find a loophole or something, but its proving difficult.
JDP1292

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 am

8-)
Don't forget to file a "Flight Plan" with someone to let them know where you will be fishing... that way if your "lost in the woods" for more than the weekend... someone will know where to come lookinfor you. ;)
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby Nagasaurus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:13 pm

JDP1292 wrote:I'm trying to find regulations about public land to see if I can find a loophole or something, but its proving difficult.

Agreed--it can be difficult. Each agency will most likely have a web site to review the rules but you need to know who manages the land first. Depending on if it is city, county, state or federal will determine where to inquire about dispersed camping. And then for federal the rules vary for BLM, National Forest, or National Park.
Nagasaurus

Return to Backpacking & Cooking