Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Smallest Day or Tech Backpack for overnighter ??

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Smallest Day or Tech Backpack for overnighter ??

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:06 pm

New to backpacking and hope to start collecting some gear fo doing so. Would like to buy a small backpack or techpack in hopes to use for an overnighter fishing expedition. Just enough to carry the basic gear to survive a night, sleep out among the stars, etc...

Are tech packs like the Fishpond Piney Creek too small for something like this?
http://www.fishpondusa.com/piney-creek-tech-pack.cfm

Can tech packs get a small sleep bag and sleep pad strapped to them?

New to this so curious.

Thanks

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Smallest Day or Tech Backpack for overnighter ??

Postby statikpunk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:47 am

ultralight backpacking is what steered me into Tenkara in the first place. that pack is 1200 cubic inches (not sure if they are including the fishing pouch or not in that) either way that should be more than enough for an overnighter depending on how spartan your planning on going. the one rule for backpacking that I strive to stick by, is "the more you know, the less you need" as a matter of fact that works for fishing too :lol: for my fishing overnighters I usually take a Golite jam as my pack, with either my BCUSA 10x10 tarp, or/and my REI minimalist bivy depending on expected weather and bug situation. I use a therm-a-rest sleeping pad with a golite 3 season quilt for my sleeping situation. plus all the other junk one needs for backpacking. hope that was helpfull :D
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby Bobc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 am

Best way tp buy a pack is to determine what you are going to carry, then go to a shop and find one that it will fit into. I strongly recommend not lashing anything like sleeping gear outside of the pack.
Bobc

Postby Softouch333 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:03 am

TJ,
Pack choice is dependent on many variables: season, terrain, distance, sleeping warmth, camping skills, comfort extras, and cook kit. A true ultra-lighter would have no problem at 1200 ci, but my recommendation would be to buy a dedicated backpack over a hybrid and go closer to 3000 ci, even for overnighters. You can always cinch down empty space, but you can't add it. Here is a fun calculator you might try to get you started: http://www.backpacking-guide.com/hiking ... calculator

I'd also consider looking at hammock systems. My Hennesey Hyperlight weighs less than 2 pounds, is way, way, way more comfortable than the best the ground has to offer, and has the bug protection you often need near the best fishing.

The important thing though is to just go for it! Borrow gear if you can or just make do with what you have at first. An overnighter means you're not likely to get into deep trouble, even if you come out soaked and hungry. You'll refine gear choices as you go.

Kevin
Softouch333

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi TJ,

Unless you have another primary use in mind for that type of backpack, I'd probably stay away from it, especially since you'll be buying a new one - if you already had it, it would be okay. Depending on the volume of your items (e.g. sleeping bag) it may not fit things well and, it will not fit things for a larger trip. The pack itself seems to be pretty heavy, though they don't say how heavy it is. It also doesn't have a roll-top that could allow you to extend its size.
Remember, your backpack is one of the big items that you may want to save weight on and it will last you a long time too. It's a worthy investment in my opinion, but doesn't have to be very expensive
Shoot for a pack that is 3lbs or less.
If possibly try some at a store, it really helps to know what fits you well.
As Kevin says, you can always cinch it down, but can't easily add space to it, though you don't need a giant pack.
I like some Granite Gear packs: http://www.rei.com/search?search=granit ... anite+gear^jxBest+use%2CBackpacking
Osprey makes one that fits me very well, has great features and is very durable, but 3lbs5oz:http://www.rei.com/product/780217/osprey-atmos-65-pack
Also, keep an eye on steepandcheap.com, I've seen a couple of good packs recently, their prices are great.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby sjosephmd » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm

There is no one answer. Go to several outdoor/camping stores and look at as many models as you can. The idea posted of first deciding what you want to carry is good, but for most of us we end up fitting in whatever the space will hold. I would not buy too SMALL a pack, not at this stage. Comfort of carry is the key thing. You should be able to find a well-made pack (try to get rain cover) with inside lower pouch for sleeping bag and numerous outside separate pockets, light frame, good waist belt for about $100-125. REI is a good place to see lots of different models.
In the early 1960's, I was a Peace Corps doctor in Nepal (no fly fishing) and was on the trails about 1/3 of the 2 years, weeks at a time. I carried my gear (no tent or much food needed--villagers would give you rice and a place to sleep) and all the medical stuff I needed to total about 50 lbs. I had the latest and greatest hard frame big Kelty bag--big and square so it stuck up above your head and could sweep you off a narrow cliff trail. I loved that old green monster, but today it wouldn't rate a second look by anybody for any reason. Point--style and technology change rapidly. Look hard and find what you like, to comfortably carry what you have to have. Keep your gear weight down--cut the handle off your toothbrush, etc. Troll the web. Have fun and Love the Planet.
Steve Joseph
sjosephmd

Postby tnitz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am

I can't speak to small packs, but remember that your gear will probably outlast it's technological usefulness. Until the last few weeks, my newest backpacking gear is over 15 years old. I must have bought better than I remembered since only recently was I able to improve and shed pounds. Get the lightest gear you can afford, so long as it is sturdy and you will be well served.

I just bought a new pack last weekend at REI during their labor day sale. It has all the features of my old pack but is much lighter and slightly smaller. I got the Flash 65. While I think I could have gotten away with the Flash 50, it would have been tight and it was more expensive as it was not on sale. The point is, that pack size ultimately depends on what you are taking, with the sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and tent/tarp being the large items.

My last pack had a seperate compartment for the sleeping bag and I never liked it. I thought I would, but truthfully I didn't. I don't think it's worth the extra weight for the structure, myself.

Make sure the torso length fits you. Many of the lighter packs today have fixed suspension systems to save weight and so it has to fit you well. Maybe over time you will lean towards ultralight backpacking, but I believe that is a process, either of minimalism or of investment in lighter technologies. I don't think most people starting out can actually do ultralight at first. But as with all of this, that's my opinion. And remember, I come out of the poor boy school who started with surplus military gear and whose only option back then was to eliminate everything and sleep under trees so "ultralight" is all pretty relative.
tnitz

Postby golgo1327 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:34 am

While its not the smallest on the market the gossemer gear gorilla would be my choice, enough room for overnighters if you have just started and the potential for much longer if you delve into the ultralight abyss. I have done a few 4 nighters with it and could get another day or 2 out of it no problem.
golgo1327

Postby albertyi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 am

TJ,

I just received my Piney Creek tech pack in the mail (in the new Overcast color), and weighed it. It's around 2lb 7oz for the backpack and chestpack combined. Not a whole lot of room in the chestpack - just enough space for the essentials. For fabric, there's thin but not cheap feeling nylon fabric, with tougher ballistic nylon in high-wear areas. Hydration reservoir pocket is accessible without opening the backpack - which is a big plus! There are no lashing points apart from the net holder ring, adjustable compression webbing, staff holder, and top and bottom handles. You could wedge stuff between the backpack and the chestpack in chestpack-piggyback configuration, but I wouldn't want to carry too much weight in the pack because there is no internal frame and the waistband is meant for stabilising movement rather than load-bearing. Fair-sized side-pockets that zip out at the bottom to convert to extended rod holders. Main compartment has no pockets. front compartment has one pocket and key clip. There is a shallow zippered pocket on one side of the backpack. Chestpack has a myriad of pockets as well as a removable foam flypatch.

All in all, the more I look at this bag the more I think "excellent daypack", which is what I was specifically looking for but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. If you still want a camp-able tech pack, You might want to look into the Fishpond Tundra techpack which is meant for that kind of stuff with more space (1525 vs 1220 cubic inches), internal frame, and load bearing waistbelt. Otherwise, the others' advice of getting a frame backpack and supplementing that with a good chest/waist fishing pack is spot-on.

If you still want to take a look at the Piney Creek tech pack in person and your local fly shop doesn't have it in stock, I'd be more than happy to make a fishing day-trip up to your area and you can try it on the water.

I'll have more data on real-world usability of the pack after this Saturday - rain or shine :twisted:

- Albert
albertyi

Postby stevenlsmith87 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 pm

I would look into the Osprey Exos 34 for lightweight overnight trips. It would be just the right size. However it might be a little snugg if you choose to do a full weekend trip unless you buy ultralight gear that would fit. It can be done, but it can be costly.....
My Outdoor Blog
www.thesilentpursuit.com
stevenlsmith87

Next

Return to Backpacking & Cooking