Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Heading up to the White Mountains...

Tenkara is a great type of fishing for backpacking and securing a meal when out in the woods. This forum discusses backpacking in general and how it relates ot tenkara: fish recipes, favorite spots, ultra-light backpacking

Heading up to the White Mountains...

Postby mhackney » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:12 am

I'm taking my 14 y/o son and another dad/son team backpacking up into the Pemigewasset Wilderness to fish the Pemi River this weekend. I have 4 Tenkara USA rods in pack and lots of flies. When I was up this way backpacking 2 years ago, we saw lots of native brook trout in icy cold tributaries. They were too difficult to reach with a fly rod but not so with a tenkara fly rod!

Here's one of the spots:

and some Brookies:

Cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Re: Heading up to the White Mountains...

Postby rsetina » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:23 am

Good luck Michael. Hope you guys have much success and I'll look for your report when you get back.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Back from the White Mountains...

Postby mhackney » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, we had a great weekend of backpacking and fly fishing. We have had so much rain in July that the rivers and streams are extremely swollen. I've never seen anything like it this late in the year!

We hiked in on Saturday morning. 3 miles up to our campsite.

We set up camp and then suited up for a hike upriver to find some wily trout. The Pemigewasset is mostly Brook Trout. The river was flowing fast with extremely high water. I caught 1 smallish 9" brookie on a rod with one of those reel things attached. It took a 50' cast across the raging current to get to where the fish was. I was looking forward to Sunday when were planning to fish one of the tributaries that I knew was ideal for tenkara. Unfortunately, my son had tucked his Iwana into his wading belt and lost it. We looked everywhere so he must have lost it in the stream when we aborted a crossing.

The next day, we had to walk back 3 miles to the car and another 3 miles back upstream on the other side of the river! The river was simply to dangerous to cross.

At about 1 mile in, I stopped at a small stream to try my fly at a brookie I saw luring. No luck, so we headed upstream. Somewhere along the way, I broke the tip on my Yamame - about 1/2" below the metal tip. I had only brought my Yamame so I needed to figure out a fix.

When we got to the trailhead to the tributary, we stopped for lunch. Being a rod builder, I analyzed the damage and had an idea. I grabbed the stub of graphite with my hemostats and pulled it out of the metal tip. I then reinserted the rod tip in to the metal tip. The fit was a bit loose. Some hikers walked by so I asked if they had a bandaid for my fly rod. They did! Here is the result:

You can see the short broken stub to the right of the repair. We hiked up to the plunge pools to do some fishing.

I caught 6 brookies in the big pool above. My friend got a good photo of me, the fish and my Yamame. I'll add it once he ends it to me.

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:02 am

Michael, so sorry to hear about the broken tip and the lost rod. The only positive note is that when the river is so high that you have to abort a crossing, it could have been a lot worse.
CM_Stewart

Postby mhackney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:52 am

Very true CM. My son learned a valuable lesson. As for my tip, being a rod maker I had no problem repairing it when I got home using tip cement. The rod is now 11' 11 1/2" long. Do you think being shorter by 1/2" will affect the action? ( :) just kidding!).

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Postby mhackney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:37 am

Here is the photo of me with a little native Brookie and my Yamame:

Cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Postby rsetina » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Sorry to hear the tip broke Michael. I'm glad to hear you were able to fix it though. Thanks for the report and the pictures. Looks like you guys had a good trip with some nice fish caught.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby mhackney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Nothing more fun than wild Brook trout fished tenkara style! They are small but powerful.

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Return to Backpacking & Cooking