Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Autobiography Of An Old Man And His Streams by Yuzo Sebata

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

Autobiography Of An Old Man And His Streams by Yuzo Sebata

Postby tejplunkett » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Me again guys. I also want to know the same about this book, Autobiography Of An Old Man And His Streams by Yuzo Sebata. Is it translated in to english and if it still available? Do's anyone know where i can buy a copy? Thanks again!
tejplunkett

Re: Autobiography Of An Old Man And His Streams by Yuzo Seba

Postby dwalker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 pm

I am not aware of any of Sebata Yūzō's books (瀬畑 雄三 |本) that have been translated into English.

I am a little unsure of just which of his books you are looking for.
You can do an internet search with this Japanese phrase, 瀬畑 雄三 本 , or 瀬畑 雄三 の本, = Sebata Yūzō books, and probably find every book , video tape, DVD, etc that he has authored, been in or otherwise credited as author.

However. I am guessing you may be looking for this book:
渓のおきな一代記 単行本 – 2010/10/22
Kei no okina - ichidaiki tankōbon

[ which I think translates as - Old man of the Valley (or River) - biography paperback book].
ISBN-10: 4622075660
ISBN-13: 978-4622075660

https://www.msz.co.jp/book/detail/07566.html

One of his books is on Amazon (US) but maybe over priced. But out of print books are sometimes high priced.
It is this title - 源流テンカラ釣りの知恵 (渓の翁、瀬畑雄三の遺言。
Something like - Headwaters tenkara fishing wisdom. (River/Valley Oldman, Sebata Yūzō's testament)

The book - Kei no Okina , appears to be out of print. But used copies available from several places.
The listing on Amazon (Japan) also appears to be used books, with a from (より,yori) price in JY.

You might be able to find a website where it is easy (less difficult) to order it from by doing an internet search of the title, 渓のおきな一代記 単行本. Or search for a different title if that is not the book you are looking for.

Or order it from Amazon (Japan) . I do not know how to. but I've read it is easier to do today than in the past.
Probably the easiest way to order it is have Keiichi Okushi at tenkaraya website order it for you.
Books are heavy. Shipping charges for books shipped from Japan are sometimes as high as the price of the book. Unless you can make the shipper understand that you want the lowest price shipping and do not mind it if it takes a month or so to get the book. Getting a book in 5 days to so cost a lot more.

fwiw, if I recall correctly, and I may be mistaken, this book has a lot of text, only a few diagrams. One of his other books, has more diagrams, with simple Japanese captions. Easier to get more out of the book if you can not easily read whole pages of Japanese text. But I don't at the moment know where his books that I have, are located. Other wise I would take a quick look and verify which book I am thinking about.

Hope this helped.

Good luck.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:58 am

I would recommend this Sebata Yūzō book:
名人瀬畑雄三の渓流釣り入門 本,
Master Sebata Yūzō's Introduction to Mountain Stream Fishing.

This is the book with a lot of diagrams, and pictures. With simple easy to figure out Japanese captions. Almost every two facing pages - one of the pages will be covered with a picture or diagram. It is difficult to find two facing pages with out a picture or diagram covering most of one of the 2 pages. (with the exception of the index pages)
It can be found at a lower price than the other book.

It covers both tenkara and western style fly fishing, lure, bait fishing, how he sets up camp in the mountains, equipment he uses for treks into head waters mountain areas and more.. There are pictures and diagrams of how he makes his taper lines, (テーパーラインを作り方。), how he ties kebari (毛鉤巻き方), etc.

You can see a few of the pages from the book on the below links to an auction website, and a blog post about following his instructions for making tapered lines.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n321923366

https://sdkfz173.naturum.ne.jp/e2110382.html

A picture from the above linked blog post.

Even if you can not read much Japanese. As Yogi Berra once observed, You can see a lot by looking. And there are several pictures and diagrams to look at in this book that are fairly self explanatory. imo anyway.

I think you will get a lot more from this book vs the other one.
However, if you are fluent at reading Japanese then you may like the other book more.

I looked again at the Sebata book on Amazon (US) , 源流テンカラ釣りの知恵 (渓の翁、瀬畑雄三の遺言。(Head stream tenkara fishing wisdom) . It is given the crazy price of $85, the same book can be ordered from Japan for a lot less money.

fwiw,
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby tejplunkett » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the good info. and time spent on answers, DWalker! :D :D :D
tejplunkett

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff